Is dressing up as a different culture (Native Indian, Mexican, etc) actually a big problem?

Oct 2010
DC
Some kind of tribal authority maybe? Something small scale enough that arguments about intellectual property might apply.
I have problem with that (from an individualist standpoint) and from being anti- forced consensus (speaking with one voice against my will) depiction of any cultural identity and entity.

Read this :
The Slants - Wikipedia
Matal v. Tam - Wikipedia
The larger scale you go the more inapplicable the concept becomes. Hell, I think it's mistake that the concept has entered into popular parlance at all since it only seems to be applied maliciously and to browbeat people. Like you can certainly get offended no matter what your credentials are and gather a mob on social media to declare them bigots.
The problem is not exclusively with the existing mob, it is with the lack of counter-mob or critical-mob. "Open minded" people have come to accept "versions" of hostility and bigotry instead of civility.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
One thing from the camp article that seemed especially odd to me, one of the demands from the Native American group was that the camp give any costumes and regalia to the group to prevent them from being used again.

Should I go to my dad’s house and look in the attic to see if I can find the dream catcher I had when I wasn’t 13? Then I could give it to them to make sure it doesn’t cause any harm?

Jan 2019
Finland
It's obviously catering to tourists, otherwise it wouldn't be written in English.
IIRC there was a whole season of Kitchen Nightmares where Gordon Ramsay visited popular tourist destinations where Brits had started restaurants to sell British food for Brits. Since they were failing it could be that the climate is not the only thing British tourists want to get away from.

Nov 2018
Denmark
One thing from the camp article that seemed especially odd to me, one of the demands from the Native American group was that the camp give any costumes and regalia to the group to prevent them from being used again.

Should I go to my dad’s house and look in the attic to see if I can find the dream catcher I had when I wasn’t 13? Then I could give it to them to make sure it doesn’t cause any harm?
In fact, I made a whole lot of dream catchers for my family. I also made one of these for my grandson right when he was born. I even put a Thor’s hammer on it.
Double bad, but I've always been crazy about everything that has to do with Indians, sorry, Native Americans from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.
However, these are clear signs of a nasty character; I must immediately burn every book I have on the subject and skip all the projects I had planned to do with my grandson, so he could learn to appreciate their original cultures as well.

Jun 2017
maine
Have I offended you? If so, it was not my intention to do so.
Note to self: Do not try to be funny in a foreign language that you do not fully master.
Regarding souvenirs, are you thinking of something like this?
To date, I am not a member of the League of Offended People. No, the poster is not a souvenir--I think it was done as a marketing piece for SAS.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I dressed up as an Aboriginal once - by taking my clothes off :D

Which was fine as I was doing it with them . I was allowed to keep shorts on. We where doing a ceremony and they wanted me to join in with them. I had to get painted up. For this ceremony they would dip a casurina branch ( fine pine needle like leaves) in a white clay slurry and thrash it over their arms legs and chest making a hatch design all all over them . They did it to me and ....

" Hey, it doesnt show up .... he's too white ! "

So, amongst much laughter and hooting, they first painted me black with crushed charcoal from the fire ... then painted me white on top of that
:D

Similar History Discussions