Is feminism ruining the West?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
--even then only if you choose to overlook Western mistakes in a similar context. -----

THAT is a classic case of a 'you too' fallacy. I thought I'd explained it clearly. Obviously not.

The cases you mentioned are not connected,. Each situation must be judged on its own merits.

China's behaviour is not excused by different situations or cultural differences. As far as I'm concerned, common standards of international law apply. China is not a special case, in which the totalitarian government has the moral right to treat its people any way it chooses.

The Tiananmen massacre was a vicious and extreme reaction to what had been a peaceful demonstration.Even had it been violent, exactly to what in the form of weapons would students have access.? How could their actions possibly justify the use of tanks?

I make it my practice to avoid arguments with apologists of all kinds. I also find your attempts to excuse the PRC dictatorship of crimes against its people, repugnant. I have nothing further to say to you about this matter.

I have put you on ignore.
This topic remains taboo in the PRC.
China has made very substantial progresses in the last 70 years, from a subsistence agricultural country to the largest NIC (newly industrialized country).
As for women's rights, some may suggest deliberate killings of female infants and fetuses; the living women have experienced revolutionary changes over the years.
Many suggest the glass ceilings for women; then, it is a major improvement over restrictions within the household.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
This topic remains taboo in the PRC.
China has made very substantial progresses in the last 70 years, from a subsistence agricultural country to the largest NIC (newly industrialized country).
As for women's rights, some may suggest deliberate killings of female infants and fetuses; the living women have experienced revolutionary changes over the years.
Many suggest the glass ceilings for women; then, it is a major improvement over restrictions within the household.
I was under the impression that the Tienanmen massacre was suppressed in the PRC. To the extent that people under 40 have never heard of it (?) I would not expect it to be discussed in public regardless.; it's a shameful episode which I think must have cost the regime great loss of face. Or not.

I last visited mainland China in 1985.Hong Kong in 1990. I always loved Hong Kong. to me, the place smelled like money. No other city I've visited does. I also loved China, the places we visited and the
people.This was at the time when the PRC had just started admitting tourists..They tried very hard, but at times didn't quite get there. We didn't have the heart to say anything and make them lose face..(or have I misunderstood the concept of 'face'?)

Many of the smaller children had never seen a gwei lo or gwei po. They were fascinated by my wife's blonde hair and blue eyes and by my full beard. Children of that age are terrific; they have no guile. The last city visited was Shanghai .We stayed in a recently refurbished hotel on The Bund. I tell this because my sister is cabin crew with QANTAS, and is in Hong Kong about once a week, but does serious shopping in Shanghai. Her photos and descriptions of Both Hong Kong and Shanghai are as if she is describing a different planet.(in the best sense of the term)

There is no doubt in my mind that China has made the most extraordinary progress, especially economically, over the last 30 years. However, it seems there is still some distance to travel to a politically and socially free country.

I honestly believe that should China become more progressive politically,,especially, that the Middle Kingdom will be the richest and most powerful nation on earth by the end of this century, Greater than the US or Russia at their peaks. (which are long passed)

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
I was under the impression that the Tienanmen massacre was suppressed in the PRC. To the extent that people under 40 have never heard of it (?) I would not expect it to be discussed in public regardless.; it's a shameful episode which I think must have cost the regime great loss of face. Or not.

I last visited mainland China in 1985.Hong Kong in 1990. I always loved Hong Kong. to me, the place smelled like money. No other city I've visited does. I also loved China, the places we visited and the
people.This was at the time when the PRC had just started admitting tourists..They tried very hard, but at times didn't quite get there. We didn't have the heart to say anything and make them lose face..(or have I misunderstood the concept of 'face'?)

Many of the smaller children had never seen a gwei lo or gwei po. They were fascinated by my wife's blonde hair and blue eyes and by my full beard. Children of that age are terrific; they have no guile. The last city visited was Shanghai .We stayed in a recently refurbished hotel on The Bund. I tell this because my sister is cabin crew with QANTAS, and is in Hong Kong about once a week, but does serious shopping in Shanghai. Her photos and descriptions of Both Hong Kong and Shanghai are as if she is describing a different planet.(in the best sense of the term)

There is no doubt in my mind that China has made the most extraordinary progress, especially economically, over the last 30 years. However, it seems there is still some distance to travel to a politically and socially free country.

I honestly believe that should China become more progressive politically,,especially, that the Middle Kingdom will be the richest and most powerful nation on earth by the end of this century, Greater than the US or Russia at their peaks. (which are long passed)
Freedom in China has been expanding lately and poverty/social issues are exposed on videos; being realistic is the latest policy.
We have discussed previously that even in the West or on the Internet, we don't have 100% freedom of expressions; there are things that should not be expressed.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal

China in late 1980s was a totally different country than it is right now. I wasn't yet born during the time you went to the Mainland, but just by searching and watching old footage of China in 1980s (and remembering of what I knew about China when I was a child) I can see that the country really did a 180 degrees turn for the better.

I've been in China for quite some years now, and I can tell you that young people here (the educated ones) know pretty well what happened in Tiananmen in 1989. It's a taboo subject, but people know it.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Probably some reference to castrating free spirit ,
after all Hitler and Stalin were quite popular with the ladies
goverment as a big daddy transmutation

Jan 2014
Rus
Probably some reference to castrating free spirit ,
after all Hitler and Stalin were quite popular with the ladies
goverment as a big daddy transmutation
Something like that. You can see at China. It have long tradition of suppression and feminism too.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions