Is Han even an ethnicity?

Jul 2014
world
I am having an agreement with a educated man who says that Tibetans are not genetically or language wise related to the han .i want to know how han and zang are related . I need something to shut the guy up.

Last edited:

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
I am having an agreement with a educated man who says that Tibetans are not genetically or language wise related to the han .i want to know how han and zang are related . I need something to shut the guy up.
wrong thread......?
but anyway, if you don't know yet, how can you make the determination of agreement or disagreement?.......

Jan 2014
Canada
I'm fascinated by southern Chinese minority culture as well as SE Asian culture. And my ancestors came from the place where the Duzhang Man/Bo Ren (都掌蛮/僰人) once lived. It is said that they were related to Zhuang and Dai. But in 1573, the Ming Dynasty committed a horrendous genocide against the Duzhang Man, and that's the reason why they disappeared. This shows that the so-called Han were not much better than the Mongols or the Manchus that they often blamed (you know what I mean here).

But I don't think they are completely extinct, some of their bloodline had probably been left in southwestern Chinese and southern Chinese. I identify with the Duzhang Man.
You do realize most of the people who come from those places in recent times are Han that immigrated within the past few centuries? If you really have any amount of genetic inheritance from those ancient minority groups, the reality is that it is minimal and your "Han" genetics completely eclipse them. You're probably many times more Han than you are Duzhang Man/Bo Ren, and quite frankly you probably know practically nothing about their culture since they have been gone for so long.

They are extinct as an identity/ethnic group because their culture does not exist anymore and they've practically been absorbed by other ethnic groups genetically. Chances are you grew up in a completely "Han" cultural environment unless you are from one of the ethnic groups that exist today, which you stated you weren't.

I don't understand why you're so obsessed with spreading this stuff, if you want to identify with them based on some practically non-existent tie then that's your choice, but it gets annoying when you constantly make threads about how "the Han are all invaders and immigrants from northern China with flat features, small eyes, etc etc/the southern Chinese are not Han/southern China should be independent".

Mar 2015
KL
If Han is an ethnicity, then I guess vague groupings of people such as "American", "European", "Asian", "African" could also be considered as ethnic groups, which abosultely doesn't make any sense.

Ethnic diversity in China is indeed underrated, but the diversity of the so-called Han Chinese majority is also underrated.

The core Sinitic area was a very small region around Hebei, Shanxi, Shaanxi, and Henan. Ningxia and Gansu were the lands of Rong Di peoples, and Shandong, Anhui, and Jiangsu were the lands of Dongyi and Huaiyi peoples.

The peoples in southern and southwestern China had been mixed with native Hmong-Mien and Tai-Kadai tribes. We are not full Han Chinese.
Well even if you do not consider a small group of Southern Chinese Han, you have to realize that they have been bastardized to a point where their Haplogroup is predominantly Han, so there you go, also you claim people look different, that's true, it's similar among Europeans, Similar among Africans, apart from skin tone, people do look very different. It's not really an ethnic thing, it's more a genes thing.

Last edited:
May 2017
China
But my question is can such a large and heterogeneous population all be categorized under one term called "Han Chinese"?

I'm dubious about the validity of such a classification.
this what you do not understand....... there is han ethnicity to begin with, our forefather conquer alot of different people and ethnicity when expanding han dynasty, and our forefather assimilating them not only by linguisticly and culturally, but also geneticly by marrying with them.

this is why geneticly speaking han chinese are very diverse, including dialects. this is why han ethnicity divided into at least 2 different group of people, northern han chinese (geneticly speaking northeast asian) and southern han chinese (geneticly speaking southeast asian).

same as turk, turk are very diverse in term of physical looking and genetic, there is turk that look like chinese / mongol, look like eurasian mix, look like middle easterner, and look like european.

Last edited:
May 2017
China
i can not post genetic or dna in here because it is forbidden, but i can give you some example of language similarity :

the word i (english) : nga (tibet), ngai (hakka), ngo (cantonese)
the word you (english) : nyi (tibet), nyi (hakka)
the word people (english) : nyi (tibet), nyin (hakka), yan (cantonese), nhan (vietnamese)

this is as far as i know.

those people who want to divide han chinese with tibetan are mostly chinese hater who want to divide and conquer china, they always say han chinese and tibetan not related but evidence from genetic and linguistic show similarity.

those chinese hater who say han chinese and tibetan are not related are not happy see big and powerful china because they see china as a threat to their existence or dominance and wish china fall apart into pieces, making it weak and less threatening to them. do not listen to them.

i have ever argue with this kind of people in the youtube, they say that sino-tibetan relation are made up stuff by chinese communist party in order to claim and annex tibet. (he is radical vietnamese who hate china very much)

Last edited:

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
this what you do not understand....... there is han ethnicity to begin with, our forefather conquer alot of different people and ethnicity when expanding han dynasty, and our forefather assimilating them not only by linguisticly and culturally, but also geneticly by marrying with them.

this is why geneticly speaking han chinese are very diverse, including dialects. this is why han ethnicity divided into at least 2 different group of people, northern han chinese (geneticly speaking northeast asian) and southern han chinese (geneticly speaking southeast asian).

same as turk, turk are very diverse in term of physical looking and genetic, there is turk that look like chinese / mongol, look like eurasian mix, look like middle easterner, and look like european.
Hakka Nyin

While it is not an absolute policy, the moderators at Historum try to discourage zombie revival of long dead threads for several reasons. There are several reasons for this:
1. There was probably good reason for the thread to lapse into inactivity.
2. It is likely that most of the members who posted in the thread are no longer active and cannot respond if quoted or questioned.

If a retired thread subject interests you, a new thread on the topic with a link to the old thread is a preferable posting technique.

Just keep this in mind in the future.