Is Israel going to see a lot more emigration once it becomes more and more overpopulated?

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Recently I have watched video about Israel working hard for Jews that remain in Europe to go to Israel and there are signs, that they might come. Their requirements are quite low, one family that was filmed in Ukraine had just one Jewish parental grandfather on fathers side and they were given all kind of support just to entice them to come to Israel. They had 4 children. This might change situation in the West Bank dramatically in pretty short period of time. Gaza is more like refugee camp than a country, if we count that, then Palestinians already have a state I guess.
I would not be surprised if the initiative comes from the family with one Jewish grandfather, as moving from Ukraine, with its current economic problems, to Israel, might seem a lucrative plan to the family. The fact that they can move but will not be considered Jews in Israel unless they convert, and that they also need to learn a very difficult language, and start anew, they might realize much later.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How about adopting a more inclusive definition of "Who is a Jew?" After all, the matrilineal principle essentially gives Jewish women a carte blanche to intermarry while making intermarriage much less attractive and appealing for Jewish men. If that's not sexist, I certainly don't know what is! :(

Mar 2014
Lithuania
I would not be surprised if the initiative comes from the family with one Jewish grandfather, as moving from Ukraine, with its current economic problems, to Israel, might seem a lucrative plan to the family. The fact that they can move but will not be considered Jews in Israel unless they convert, and that they also need to learn a very difficult language, and start anew, they might realize much later.
I was actually amazed how much support they got. Financial support in Ukraine for preparations, temporary housing in Ukraine while finalizing paperwork etc. Temporary housing in Israel while they chose place to settle there etc. All done by non government organizations. I have visited Israel couple of times and actually if you speak Russian you can get by without much problems there. Still, largest numbers of new immigrants were not from Ukraine actually, but from France. What is that about?

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
How about adopting a more inclusive definition of "Who is a Jew?" After all, the matrilineal principle essentially gives Jewish women a carte blanche to intermarry while making intermarriage much less attractive and appealing for Jewish men. If that's not sexist, I certainly don't know what is! :(
Well, if you think of it, makes sense as maternity is easier to prove than paternity. In fact, matrilineal descent gives you more chance to stay the Jew at the times when women were chosen and did not have much chance to choose husbands. If ethnicity would be defined by patrilineal line, there soon would be no Jews to speak of.

Today, of course, adhering to ancient principles makes no sense.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Paternity is now very easy to prove with DNA testing. Also, did men actually have a choice as to whom they married back in the old days? Or did their parents pick their partners/spouses for them?

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Paternity is now very easy to prove with DNA testing. Also, did men actually have a choice as to whom they married back in the old days? Or did their parents pick their partners/spouses for them?
Now, we are talking about ancient times. Not the Pale, because even if we take the book written by Gluckeln von Hameln, and it was 16th-17th century, it seems that Jewish women enjoyed more freedom in general than their non-Jewish counterparts. Probably even more so in the Pale. However, still, even in that time, the parents would choose the partners/spouses. I would agree that in the ancient times, the brides/grooms were chosen by parents. They had very strict laws for those born out of wedlock.

Actually, is there any other ethnic group where ethnic belonging would be defined by the mother?