Is Israel going to see a lot more emigration once it becomes more and more overpopulated?

Jan 2014
Connecticut
The Palestinians are going to need to do something really crazy for Israel to even consider doing this. The Second Intifada certainly wasn't enough. It's going to need to be 10 or even 100 times more deadly! :(
Not necessarily. True there would have to be some pretext involving loss of Israeli life. But the key difference between now and the intifada is the more hardline Israeli government and perhaps even more importantly, the perception that the US has abandoned even handedness and now sides fully with Israel on everything. Under those circumstances Israel thinks it can get away with much more than in the past, which is almost certainly true.

May 2014
SoCal
I don't think that Sharon's government was much less hardline than Netanyahu's government. True, Sharon did withdraw from Gaza, but Gaza was a demographic time bomb and there were few Jews living there.

It's possible that Sharon would have evolved and become more conciliatory had he not had his stroke, but I don't know if we will ever know this for certain.

You do have a good point about Israel being capable of getting away with more now than in the early 2000s, though. Still, this is unlikely to last. After all, Democrats certainly aren't going to be as pro-Israel as Trump is.

Jan 2014
Connecticut
The Democrats may not be as pro Israel as Trump, and it is reasonable to suppose there will be a Democratic administration after 2020. But both parties are beholden to pro Israel voters and financiers, and it would be hard to reverse what Trump has done.

May 2014
SoCal
I certainly don't expect a reversal of Trump's Israel-related decisions (with the exception of the Iran nuclear deal, which I expect the Dems to return to), but that's certainly an extremely far cry from expelling the Palestinians en masse!

Jan 2014
Connecticut
I certainly don't expect a reversal of Trump's Israel-related decisions (with the exception of the Iran nuclear deal, which I expect the Dems to return to), but that's certainly an extremely far cry from expelling the Palestinians en masse!
But recent US moves have, I believe, given Israel the impression it can do anything. To give its backers a case, and minimize the US reaction, the Israelis would wait for a pretext. It’s certain they’ll get it, since the Palestinians now have virtually no hope for a decent negotiated settlement, hence may resort to mass demonstrations and violence on the West Bank.