Is it fair to compare French Algeria with the West Bank?

Aug 2018
Canada
Can you please elaborate on this?
I elaborated in my post #11.
UNANSWERED by you except for sourcing your population numbers.
I explained why the two situations aren't remotely comparable, and you had no reply

Again:
Me in post #11 said:
Also, in the case of 'Palestine', Jews and Muslims WERE Both offered a state in 1947.
The Jews accepted, the Palestinians declined
, and went to War.

Palestinians have Elected their own leadership in the West Bank.

Israel, all of Palestine actually, was envisioned as a Jewish state at the time of the Ottoman Break-up (see Balfour, Mandate, etc)
France didn't have a 3000 year history, and it's holiest place, in Algeria.

In 1947, the land designated as Israel had a Jewish Majority. That's how they drew it up.

There's No comparison really.
Your's is more like a "what if" case, than a withheld rights case in 'Palestine.'
Debunking the mind numbing/Bizarro OP.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Europix
Can you please elaborate on this?
Chihuahuas, as the Otters, are mammals, have four legs, two eyes and are carnivores. And that would be it.

Algeria was occupied by France, an old country/superpower, Israel was created out of nothing less than a century ago ... I really don't know what's to compare. The only thing we could find in common is that "the other part" is Muslim. Chihuahuas and Otters ;)

Way too thin to discuss in the same day about the two things.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
I agree DF. I too have struggled this one.

There is absolutely no similarity between the two.

Algeria might have some commonalities with Ireland, 1914 but as for Israel and the West Bank 1967 to present, I can think of none.

Israel is a unique phenomenon in modern history.

Dec 2014
Israel
The arguments presented here are very interesting. I am writing a novel where at the heart of the plot are the two mentioned situations- French Algeria, West Bank.
(You can google at my past work- Yuval Yareach) Will be glad to get newspapers from the period of 1954-1962 that depicts the news from Algeira.
Mainly from the philippeville massacre of 1955. Also -willing to pay for research.

Good day

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Chihuahuas, as the Otters, are mammals, have four legs, two eyes and are carnivores. And that would be it.

Algeria was occupied by France, an old country/superpower, Israel was created out of nothing less than a century ago ... I really don't know what's to compare. The only thing we could find in common is that "the other part" is Muslim. Chihuahuas and Otters ;)

Way too thin to discuss in the same day about the two things.
Correct ... as for I have understood in history comparisons are useful only to find differences ... usually comparing two different contexts we find out that what's different is well predominant with reference to what's similar.

We could add that UN didn't allow France to occupy Algeria [like the other European Colonial Powers, France was just enlarging its colonial Empire ...], while Israel had drawn by UN [then we can start the never-ending discussion about why US, Russia and Turkey recognized Israel without waiting for the rest of the international community and why the sides didn't respect the borders drawn by UN ... end so on ... end so on ...].

Furthermore, considering the West Bank we have to note that there are other parts involved. About Jerusalem, UN wanted it to be a free international city, just because of the numerous religious entities who are present there [UN wanted the city to be a "corspus separatum" administrated by UN].
And how to forget Jordan? Israel hasn't been the only power present in the West Bank. As for I know, after the Arab-Israel war, in 1948 Jordan invaded and occupied the West Bank, annexing the territory [in April 1950]. The international community saw this occupation as illegal, the Arab nations saw it in a different way ... the Arab League said that the territory had "annexed by Jordan as a trust in its hands until the Palestine case is fully solved in the interests of its inhabitants." Curiously enough, while London didn't recognize immediately the independence of Israel, UK recognized the Jordan occupation of the West Bank [Jordanian annexation of the West Bank - Wikipedia]. And we can go on with the game of finding the differences.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
London had aproved it before it happened, the Arab Legion was commanded by British Officers. Britain controlled Jordan pretty much.
The British geopolitical interests in those years were quite clear: they wanted to keep a presence in that strategical area, while Russia and US wanted to kick UK out of the Middle East. This is why about Israel and generally the ME it seemed that Washington, Moscow [and then Ankara] operated against the interest of the falling British Empire [overall because the two new superpowers had all the interests to accelerate the fall of the Empire ...].