Is it possible that United States will officially apologize in future for atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Status
Closed
Mar 2019
Kansas
More than 100,000 people were killed in firebombing of Tokyo by America yet i have not declared it "greatest incident of war crime and terrorism in human history". .
And the Japanese killed a 100,000 people building a railway in Burma. Whats your point?

Every citizen of Tokyo was given 48 hours notice by the Americans that their particular district was going to be bombed. I dont recall the Japanese affording similar courtesy to its enemies.

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
azad67 says:

The use of nukes on Japan is evil and sinister because it was nothing more than testing on humans, to see if it can wipe out a city of humans, and the intention was to terrorize the entire world, and to show off that America has such deadly weapons
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My response:
There is absolutely no evidence that the use of atomic bombs on Japan was meant to "test" anything; nor is there any evidence that it was to terrorize anyone or demonstrate possession of A-bombs.
The purpose of the bombings was to destroy the enemy's ability to wage war and to break its will to continue war.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
After the Hiroshima bombing, the three pri-war ministers of the Big Six (which ran Japan) told the Emperor it wasn't a nuke, just a big conventional bomb. Then after radiation readings confirmed it was an atomic bomb they changed their tune again, this time claiming there was no way the US could have made more than one.

The Big Six and Emperor only even openly contemplated surrender after the Nagasaki bomb. They met the morning of Aug 9 to discuss the Soviet declaration of war. During that meeting a messenger arrived with news that Nagasaki just got hit too.

At that point the pro-war ministers were still very a very limited surrender, with four completely unrealistic conditions. But other pro peace ministers started finally talking. Foreign Minister Togo admitted to everyone that, per the Emperor's secret orders, he'd previously been trying to open negotiation talks through the Soviet Union for a cease fire, but that was obviously out.

They cut that meeting, then met up later that night for a marathon night session, where the Emperor finally gave his opinion, that he wanted to end the war however. None of the Big Six were pro unconditional surrender, required per the Potsdam Declaration. Three pro peace wanted the emperor protected, three pro war wanted emperor protected, Japan retreats to pre Pearl Harbor territory,Japanese govt (meaning the Big Six) controls their disarmament and controls their own war crime trials to punish subordinates for following their own directives, and no occupation of Japan. Absolutely absord, but it was only after a night of bickering, into Aug 10, and after the Emperor brow beat them (he had caught them in another lie about defenses they swore were ready that hadn't been built yet), so it was only Aug 10 day that they decided unconstitutional surrender.

There is a theory that Truman could have added the stipulation to protect the emperor and they'd have surrendered earlier. The evidence to that is completely contradictory to the historical events. Its nonsense.
Tbh I don't understand how after one bomb is used how a rational person would think a second one isn't coming eventually. Did they think we just lost knowledge how to make the things once we made the first one? They had their own unsuccessful nuclear program it's not like the concept of these bombs was foreign to them, they should have been aware what this meant. I just don't understand that. It sounds like delusion.

Given the Emperor wasn't going to come out and force his ministers to act a certain way without extreme circumstances I still don't think three days is enough and like you said he had caught them in a lie prior to Nagasaki(why deceive them if a first atomic bombing doesn't change the emperors opinion?). Maybe I am being naive but truth of the matter is, that was still only three days and the Soviet invasion would be another factor I didn't mention which could have induced the surrender and was a reason the USA should have given the Japs several more days.

Feb 2016
Japan
1st the bombing was neither a war crime or terrorist act.
Though morally repugnant it was both justified at the time and with hindsight as being less bloody and costly than either firebombing or a full invasion.
There is no call for an apology in Japan or globally.

2nd.
Japanese apologies.
1957 - official apology to Burmese people.
1957- official apology to Australia for “what occurred in the war”
1965- Japanese issues apology and expresses remorse for its treatment of South Korea.
1972- Official apology to China for its actions against Chinese people.
1982- issues second apology to South Korea.
1984- the Emperor apologizes to South Korean President.
1984- apologies to S.Korea again.
1985 - japan apologies to the UN for its ultra nationalist past.
1989- Japan issues a apology to the world for its past action and suffering it caused.
1990 - official apology to S. Korea over forces movement of labour/slaves.
1990- both emperor and prime minister make apologies to South Korea for its past abuse.
1992- official apology for suffering of “comfort women”/sex slaves.
1992- two more apologies to SKorea. One explicitly acknowledging the abuse of comfort women.
1993- another apology over comfort women.
1993- official apology to the world for sufferings caused by invasion and colonial rule.
1995 - House of Representatives apologies to the world for Japan’s acts of aggression and invasions and suffering caused.
1995- another PM makes official apology for indignities inflicted on women as sex slaves.
1995- another apology for colonial rule.
1996- official apology to SKorea over comfort women AND forced japanization during colonial rule.
1998-Japanese PM apologies to British pm for treatment of British pows in WW2. Expressed remorse for all acts and suffering caused to the uk by Japan.
1998- letter of apology sent to Netherlands to apologies for sufferings and crimes inflicted upon its people, women in particular, during WW2.
2000- official statement of regret issued to all Asian nations that suffered at the hands of Japan.
2001- official apology to all Asian nations for sufferings inflicted by Japan.
2001- Japan apologies to South Korea for colonial rule, forced migration and comfort women.
2003- apology to all Asian nations.
2005- apology to all Asian nations.
2007- apology of Japanese parliament acknowledging treatment of sex slaves.
2009- apology to USA for Bataan death march.
2010-apology to South Korea.
2011- apology to Australian pows.
2011- apology to Canadian pows.
2013 - Japanese pm apologies for Nanking and Chinese civilian deaths.
2014- apologises for its actions during Bataan death march service
2015- apology to US congress for war crimes and acts of aggression.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
More than 100,000 people were killed in firebombing of Tokyo by America yet i have not declared it "greatest incident of war crime and terrorism in human history". United States simply did not need to use nukes to defeat and break Japan. The use of nukes on Japan is evil and sinister because it was nothing more than testing on humans, to see if it can wipe out a city of humans, and the intention was to terrorize the entire world, and to show off that America has such deadly weapons. It did not kill just humans on the spot, it killed the very soil and messed up the genetics of surviving population there. America is the only nation in the human history which has used nukes on population of enemy. Objectively speaking, Its definitely greatest incident of war crime and terrorism in human history.
Total, complete and irredeemable nonsense. Until you can tell me that Pakistan has no nuclear weapons aimed at its next door neighbor, I see no further use in discussing anything with you.

You are sitting behind PC screen, so am i. If you want to test my bravery or cowardice, you have to face to me in person. Then i will see whether an American has the to guts in real life to call me a hypocrite and coward on my face.
Does Pakistan have nuclear weapons? Who are they aimed at? How can you talk with a straight face about any subject having to do with nuclear weapons when you are sitting on your own nukes?

We don’t need to discuss this further because you have demonstrated that one of your eyes, at least, is blind.

Last edited:

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
Tbh I don't understand how after one bomb is used how a rational person would think a second one isn't coming eventually. Did they think we just lost knowledge how to make the things once we made the first one? They had their own unsuccessful nuclear program it's not like the concept of these bombs was foreign to them, they should have been aware what this meant. I just don't understand that. It sounds like delusion.

Given the Emperor wasn't going to come out and force his ministers to act a certain way without extreme circumstances I still don't think three days is enough and like you said he had caught them in a lie prior to Nagasaki(why deceive them if a first atomic bombing doesn't change the emperors opinion?). Maybe I am being naive but truth of the matter is, that was still only three days and the Soviet invasion would be another factor I didn't mention which could have induced the surrender and was a reason the USA should have given the Japs several more days.
It's not that unreasonable an assumption. We only had 3 or 4 of the things & that includes the ones used for testing prior to being used on Japan. It was going to be months before we had more. We were basically bluffing after we dropped the second one. I think we were out then or maybe we had one left held in reserve.

Jul 2016
USA
More than 100,000 people were killed in firebombing of Tokyo by America yet i have not declared it "greatest incident of war crime and terrorism in human history". United States simply did not need to use nukes to defeat and break Japan. The use of nukes on Japan is evil and sinister because it was nothing more than testing on humans, to see if it can wipe out a city of humans, and the intention was to terrorize the entire world, and to show off that America has such deadly weapons. It did not kill just humans on the spot, it killed the very soil and messed up the genetics of surviving population there. America is the only nation in the human history which has used nukes on population of enemy. Objectively speaking, Its definitely greatest incident of war crime and terrorism in human history.
See, now this whole biased rant isn't history, its just angsty bile.

Where was your rage after what Pakistan did to Bangladesh? Killed far more than either atomic bombing, done by hand too. Barbaric.

You are sitting behind PC screen, so am i. If you want to test my bravery or cowardice, you have to face to me in person. Then i will see whether an American has the to guts in real life to call me a hypocrite and coward on my face.
Im curious. Would you agree to fly to America to prove yourself?

Mods, I'm not challenging him. Simply curious if he's up for paying for the long flight to prove his manhood.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
According to this article, America has officially apologized five times which does not include atomic bombings of Japan (a greatest war crime and greatest incident of terrorism in human history). Or America does not hold herself accountable for war crimes outside United States ? (all the five apologizes are for happenings within the territory of United States).

After watching Chernobyl mini-series on HBO, one gets an idea about the horrors of nuclear radiations yet United States has always refused to apologize for nuking Japan.

No Apology For Hiroshima

It's possible we'll be attacked by purple people eating aliens tomorrow. The B-29 Superfortress deserves a lot of credit, what a wonderful plane for that time. The my$onofb!tch$(Mitsubshi zero) couldn't touch it, they could bomb with impunity.

Last edited:
Jul 2016
USA
Total, complete and irredeemable nonsense. Until you can tell me that Pakistan has no nuclear weapons aimed at its next door neighbor, I see no further use in discussing anything with you.

Does Pakistan have nuclear weapons? Who are they aimed at? How can you talk with a straight face about any subject having to do with nuclear weapons when you are sitting on your own nukes?

We don’t need to discuss this further because you have demonstrated that one of your eyes, at least, is blind.
No secret at all Pakistan nukes are aimed at Indian population centers, their govt flat out admitted numerous times, as they also have a First Strike policy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think three days was too brief a timetable to expect them to reevaluate their situation and/or get the emperor to step in(when traditionally he doesn't). Perhaps it wouldn't have been enough but it could have been and given the severity of what we were doing , think we should have given them at least a little more time.
How much time do you think that we should have given them?

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions