Is it time to think international relations and security beyond NATO?

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
I just read that Secretary General of NATO,Jens Stoltenberg has epressed that we need NATO more than ever. But as the saying goes there is time for everything. Could it be we should look if NATO is still "the one and only" for ts members, and could there in near future be anything like an even improved and better (so we could hope) alternative? There has been so many alliances throughout history so it is not that hard to think NATO is not the last word?

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
NATO is just a way for its members to not have to pay for there own defence. a better version would be for the other signers to actually have a functioning military.

What i see in the future is another warsaw pact forming around China

Jul 2010
N/A
NATO is just a way for its members to not have to pay for there own defence. a better version would be for the other signers to actually have a functioning military.

What i see in the future is another warsaw pact forming around China
Wut? I say wut? The majority of the nations of NATO have a standing army that is proportionate to their population and their needs. Perhaps except the Eastern European nations outside of Greece.

The future of NATO is grim. It has over leveraged itself in Europe and there is a strong anti-American sentiment particularly in Southern and Eastern Europe. The European Defence Union is the future.

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
Wut? I say wut? The majority of the nations of NATO have a standing army that is proportionate to their population and their needs. Perhaps except the Eastern European nations outside of Greece.

The future of NATO is grim. It has over leveraged itself in Europe and there is a strong anti-American sentiment particularly in Southern and Eastern Europe. The European Defence Union is the future.
Have you seen the state of the Military's in Europe? A European Defence Union would be suicidal. unless you are telling me the sad state of affairs for everyone from the Germans to the British is just a strange out of order occurrence.

Goodwill will not put their subs back in the sea's or put their planes back in the air.

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
With what countires around? I can't imagine Japan, Korea, Vietnam, India being globally pro-Chinese. Neither I think China will invade her neighbors.
Considering the sheer amount of foreign influence the Chinese government holds over the pacific and Oceania, it will only be a generation or two max before a shift begins to happen. as for "invade" these pacts are more of a defence than anything.

Jul 2010
N/A
Have you seen the state of the Military's in Europe? A European Defence Union would be suicidal. unless you are telling me the sad state of affairs for everyone from the Germans to the British is just a strange out of order occurrence.

Goodwill will not put their subs back in the sea's or put their planes back in the air.
There is more than enough planes, ships, tank and bombs in Europe to overwhelm any nation in the world. America is unnecessary as is the constant chirping of 2.5% of GDP to keep America happy particularly with the state of the world economy. How many combined units do you need?

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
There is more than enough planes, ships, tank and bombs in Europe to overwhelm any nation in the world. America is unnecessary as is the constant chirping of 2.5% of GDP to keep America happy particularly with the state of the world economy.
No there is not, Those tanks are not maintained, the ships are stuck at port. they ran out of bombs in bloody Libya. as for the "constant chirping of 2.5% of GDP" none of them do it anyway. if they did i dare say the Tornadoes might be up and running again

Jul 2010
N/A
No there is not, Those tanks are not maintained, the ships are stuck at port. they ran out of bombs in bloody Libya. as for the "constant chirping of 2.5% of GDP" none of them do it anyway. if they did i dare say the Tornadoes might be up and running again
And that's good that they don't do it to be honest. Its a waste of money to keep Murica happy.

Jul 2016
USA

I agree wholeheartedly.

There are only a few nations actually pulling their weight economically in terms of funding. While some might say that the member states' militaries are "proportionate to their population and their needs" the reality is that they are utterly reliant on the United States for much of the infrastructure, logistics, and combat power.

And most European nation's militaries are in shambles, regardless of their size. Decades of utter political neglect and irresponsible budget cuts have left a large part of those militaries without training funds, without spare parts for not enough equipment. Changing culture has made standard military discipline nearly impossible to maintain outside of special operations forces, in most Euro nations (and this coming from a COL I know who just finished a tour in NATO) their militaries are just a jobs program dominated by social engineering.

If NATO collapsed, it means the US collapsed it to get out of it. Someone is going to have to pick up that slack. Who?

Similar History Discussions