Is it time to think international relations and security beyond NATO?

Apr 2018
France
The good reason is a European fear that the US might come to the conclusion that defending Europe is no longer a vital interest for it. In that sense it might be a good thing if Europe did decide to form its own alliance (with adequate resources of course) but it’s hard to see how that could run in parallel with NATO.
This is not a good reason. If you fear that you could remain without USA alliance you increase your defence budget, you don't leave the alliance.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
This is not a good reason. If you fear that you could remain without USA alliance you increase your defence budget, you don't leave the alliance.
I agree that’s the best option. However, there’s a doomsday scenario where, irrespective of how much money Europe puts into it, the US decides it doesn’t need to be in NATO.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Some very poignant info about the issues of NATO

German Luftwaffe only has four operation-ready Eurofighter jets: report

Air Force has only four combat-ready "Eurofighter"

:lol: I cannot wait until NATO collapses. Good times ahead for Europe.
To go off the point - a few years ago the RAF had a variety of combat planes available to it from Jaguars to Tornado interceptors. The Tornado is about to be withdrawn from service leaving us with just the Typhoon as a combat aircraft. If the Typhoon is grounded for any reason we literally have nothing until the F35 is up and running. I do realise that not every plane can carry out every function but having more than one egg in the basket might be good.

Presumably better minds than mine in the Ministry of Defence have thought of this.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Some very poignant info about the issues of NATO

German Luftwaffe only has four operation-ready Eurofighter jets: report

Air Force has only four combat-ready "Eurofighter"

:lol: I cannot wait until NATO collapses. Good times ahead for Europe.

Only four operation ready jets for a country like Germany ?? Damn!

Other sites are reporting this problem too. Only 24 Transall out of 56 operational, only 38 "Tornado" out of 89, only 42 "Eurofighter" out of 109 aso ...

The new Air Force chief Ingo Gerhartz has pointed publicly in his report the problems and their cause.

(Luftwaffe befindet sich am Tiefpunkt
Inspector Gerhartz: "Air Force is at its lowest point"

Der neue Luftwaffen-Chef Ingo Gerhartz bemängelt die Einsatzbereitschaft von Kampfjets und Hubschraubern.
The new Air Force chief Ingo Gerhartz criticizes the operational readiness of fighter jets and helicopters)

Ok, Germans do have slightly more than only 4 operational jets, anlike what the "Local" or "Der Spiegel" might let to be understood. But ok, one can't expect too much from those two.

That doesn't mean the Germans haven't got a problem.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
... However, there’s a doomsday scenario where, irrespective of how much money Europe puts into it, the US decides it doesn’t need to be in NATO.
The real doomsday scenario isn't US leaving NATO, but other NATO members (and Europeans in general) not taking the US leave as a possible scenario into consideration and not prepare for it ... just in case.

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
USA will never want to fight anyone on US soil. Thus it requires a buffer zone and Europe is it. The sooner Trump works that out , the easier things will become.