Is it true that all former imperial metropoles were made in relation to their subjects?

Sep 2015
England
'It is certainly true that France today was made - and doubtless is still being made - in Algeria, with and against Algeria'. This is a quote from 1997, but is it in fact the case, as in the question, that all former imperial metropoles were made in relation to their subjects?

It seems to me at least on the surface, that there is some truth in the statement with respect to France. The French national identity after the Revolution 'can be said to have been above all cultural and ideological, so that it was in principle possible to become French by embracing French civilisation, which according to republican ideology was of universal value'.

Until the 1960s in the British example it was thought that commonwealth peoples would, in time, adapt to the English way of life.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
AFAIK, France essentially required Algerian Muslims to commit apostasy (renounce their Muslim personal status) if they actually wanted to become French citizens. Granted, this changed in 1947 but even then Algerian Muslims were still severely underrepresented in the French parliament relative to their total share of the Algerian population.

Sep 2015
England
It seems strange that these kinds of connections don't appear to have allowed for increased (increasing) cross cultural exchange, or a more obvious (statistical based) embrace of French identity, by those who moved there. Should the under-representation have been the case constitutionally is one thing, but that it was the case otherwise is another question.

Sep 2015
England
It states as follows at some point: 'Crucially, such boomerang effects linking security and military doctrine in the cities of the west with those on colonial peripheries are backed up by the cultural geographies which underpin the political right and far-right...'

One question is what on earth is a "cultural geography" when its at home?

Another is when applied to today's France we find both left and right making up the Gilets Jeune !

Perhaps therefore we can say so much for commentary and historiography?

Sep 2017
Pennsylvania
...One question is what on earth is a "cultural geography" when its at home?...
I'm not familiar with contemporary French socio-politics, American politics however can possibly clarify the idea of "domestic cultural geographies."

In America, the process of "gerrymandering" involves re-drawing district boundaries in weird ways to include specific populations (hispanics for instance) which represent a power-base for various politicians. This is done without regard to geography or common sense to keep politicians and political parties empowered by entrenching high-density blocks of radical voters.

Gerrymandering

I wouldn't be surprised to find similar processes impacting French politics.

Sep 2015
England
I'm not familiar with contemporary French socio-politics, American politics however can possibly clarify the idea of "domestic cultural geographies."

In America, the process of "gerrymandering" involves re-drawing district boundaries in weird ways to include specific populations (hispanics for instance) which represent a power-base for various politicians. This is done without regard to geography or common sense to keep politicians and political parties empowered by entrenching high-density blocks of radical voters.

Gerrymandering

I wouldn't be surprised to find similar processes impacting French politics.
'As its name suggested, Aberdeen Central centred on the centre of Aberdeen, the boundaries generally being, but not precisely, the River Dee and River Don and the Anderson Drive ring-road.'

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Have to say my thoughts involve coming to terms with the sort of person(s) that could actually be influenced by such demagoguery and hyperbole.
It's a lot of blah blah, but I think the core idea is that security technologies and means of enforcement that are developed on the edge of empire eventually find their way home.

Similar History Discussions