Is it true that Woodrow Wilson prevented Albania from being partitioned by its neighbors after WWI?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Is it true that U.S. President Woodrow Wilson prevented Albania from being partitioned by its neighbors (specifically Yugoslavia, Greece, and Italy) after the end of World War I?

Also, if so, does anyone know how exactly Albania's neighbors planned to divide it?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I believe that's because Yugoslavia had more important matters to take care of and probably was not too interested in Albania in 1918-19.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I just want to clarify if you're referring to the integration of a lot of new territories, the border disputes with Italy and Austria, and/or something else here.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
All of those things, however I would like to somewhat correct myself. Yugoslavia did worry about Albania, but not because it wanted to partition it with neighbors, but because they were worried (rightly worried) about Italian push into Albania and the establishment of an Italian protectorate over Albania. Since Italy was hostile to Yugoslavia, this development was quite troublesome for Yugoslavia. There was even a military intervention by Yugoslavia into Albania to subdue Albanian bands that, supported by Italy, raided Yugoslavia.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
All of those things, however I would like to somewhat correct myself. Yugoslavia did worry about Albania, but not because it wanted to partition it with neighbors, but because they were worried (rightly worried) about Italian push into Albania and the establishment of an Italian protectorate over Albania. Since Italy was hostile to Yugoslavia, this development was quite troublesome for Yugoslavia. There was even a military intervention by Yugoslavia into Albania to subdue Albanian bands that, supported by Italy, raided Yugoslavia.
It might be helpful to add to this post that prior to the rise of the Fascists (around '22, even '21 perhaps?) Italy was not necessarily belligerent towards Kingdom of CHC (future Yugoslavia, to be very precise :cool:). And... just to be very obtuse... using the Cyrillic letters for Slovenes, Croats and Serbs...

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
It might be helpful to add to this post that prior to the rise of the Fascists (around '22, even '21 perhaps?) Italy was not necessarily belligerent towards Kingdom of CHC (future Yugoslavia, to be very precise :cool:). And... just to be very obtuse... using the Cyrillic letters for Slovenes, Croats and Serbs...

No, I'll have to defer to someone else, as the "H" is a Latin "N". Oh well, would it be CXC? Or C Gamma C? Not a good morning for accuracy. :(

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
It might be helpful to add to this post that prior to the rise of the Fascists (around '22, even '21 perhaps?) Italy was not necessarily belligerent towards Kingdom of CHC (future Yugoslavia, to be very precise :cool:)
I must disagree. From the very beginning, Italy plotted against the new state. They supported the Montengrin Christmas Uprising and were also the biggest supporter of the Montenegrin government-in-exile. Italy also worked against Yugoslavia at the Paris Peace Conference. Italian Army Vice Chief of Staff Pietro Badoglio formulated a plan to use any possible subversive measures to weaken Yugoslavia. This plan was approved in 1919 by the Prime Minister Orlando, Foreign Minister Sidney Sonnino and General Armando Diaz. The plan proposed using Catholic clergy, Italian agents inside Yugoslavia, supporting those that supported old regimes (like those in Montenegro for example) etc. In May 1919 Italy even contemplated an invasion of Croatia through Slovenia and the Yugoslav government expected a full-scale war against Italy. In July and August Yugoslavia mobilized 400,000 troops in order to prepare for the expected Italian attack. So, while the Fascist takeover increased tensions with Yugoslavia, those tensions were present even before that.

Similar History Discussions