Is MI5 interfering in Scottish affairs?

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
Are the Alex Salmond sex misconduct accusations all that they seem?
Salmond has been accused of impropriety. The Complaints process was supposed to be confidential but details were leaked to the Daily Record. Salmond's view is that the procedure is loaded against the accused who are unable to mount a credible defence. He is seeking a Judicial Review into how the civil service handle complaints.
Many people in Scotland see the dirty paws of the dark forces of the British State all over this. Salmond is the person most associated with Scottish Independence, he seeks the break up of the British state. Not such a big jump to the conclusion that the Intelligence Services are being used to destabilise the Yes movement and are aiming their guns firmly on Salmond.
Salmond has resigned from the party to concentrate on the Judicial Review.
The authorities have been caught off guard by the tremendous support he has. Salmond started a crowdfunder to help pay for legal costs. The original amount sought was £50,000 - it now stands at £90,528. People have rallied round to help out.
Do you think it highly unlikely that the State would involve itself, to such an extent, in Scottish affairs? OR, like me, are you dubious about such sentiments? As far as I am concerned these people are not just going to sit back and let Independence happen. They tried to silence a pro-Independence blog by using the state broadcaster to terminate its YouTube channels. They failed with that. Now they are having a pop at Alex Salmond.
Conspiracy theory? I hope so but I fear not!

Feb 2016
Japan
Salmond was neither the leader or key figure any more. So why bother. He is hardly going to affect anything. Sounds like tin foil hat level paranoia to me.
Is there any evidence for this? Or just a smear campaign to get him off the hook? Or some mad anglophobic nonsense?

I hope for his alleged victims sake this is not some widespread actual belief and is confined to the swivel eyed nationalist anglophobes.

Last edited:

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
So support for Scottish independence might waver because one individual might be guilty of sexual impropriety. It's hardly the spirit of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce is it?

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
Salmond was neither the leader or key figure any more. So why bother. He is hardly going to affect anything. Sounds like tin foil hat level paranoia to me.
You haveabsolutely no idea of the significance, the importance of the man to the cause of Scottish Independence.
The authorities probably thought like you. Salmond is out of front line politics so go for him. They reckoned, wrongly as it turns out, that there would be little support for him within the faithful. How wrong could they be!

Is there any evidence for this?
They are State employees. They are hardly going to advertise their actions. However it is not the first attempt to have a go at smearing the Independence movement. Their last effort, using the BBC against 'Wings Over Scotland', backfired spectacularly.
The Independence for Scotland movement is aimed at returning full sovereignty to this country. Do you think the British Establishment are just going to sit back and meekly accept what is going on.
Or just a smear campaign to get him off the hook?
He has not been charged with anything. The problem is that he is not allowed to properly defend himself. It is this unfair process he aims to have changed.
The smear campaign is against Salmond

Or some mad anglophobic nonsense?
What exactly has this to do with England?

I hope for his alleged victims sake this is not some widespread actual belief and is confined to the swivel eyed nationalist anglophobes.
There you go again! I will repeat my previous question, what has this got to do with England?

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
So support for Scottish independence might waver because one individual might be guilty of sexual impropriety. It's hardly the spirit of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce is it?
There is no sign of support waning. Indeed the opposite is happening. Social media is awash with support for Salmond and thousands have donated to his crowdfunder

I have heard a lot of the 'no smoke without fire' type comments but surely the proper response to what is happening is 'innocent till proven guilty'.

Aug 2009
Londinium
I wonder if those who made donations would do so to anyone else accused of such things, I suspect not, in which case it would be the politicisation on the part of Scots Nats rather than MI5 (still no evidence as far as I can see, just another conspiracy theory).

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
There is no sign of support waning. Indeed the opposite is happening. Social media is awash with support for Salmond and thousands have donated to his crowdfunder

I have heard a lot of the 'no smoke without fire' type comments but surely the proper response to what is happening is 'innocent till proven guilty'.
Well there you go then, if there were an Establishment plot it has backfired. Not that I give credence to such an idea. I agree with your last sentence of course.

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
I wonder if those who made donations would do so to anyone else accused of such things, I suspect not, in which case it would be the politicisation on the part of Scots Nats rather than MI5 (still no evidence as far as I can see, just another conspiracy theory).
As I said before there is a concerted effort to destabilise the SNP. All newspapers, with the notable exception of the National, daily (usually) print anti-Independence stories. The BBC, noted for its distorted reporting, tried to shut down the most popular Independence blogger.
Salmond is seeking a Judicial Review into the civil service complaints procedure. If he is successful others who have had accusations flung at them will benefit from his actions.
'Politicisation ... of the Scots Nats'??? Where have you been?

Can you tell me why the security services would not be interested in a movement aimed at breaking up the British state? After all they have acted against Labour in the past - the Zinoviev letter, the spying on Harold Wilson - and the Communists. What is the link? They were seen as a threat to the Establishment. To think there is nothing going on is very naive.

The timing of the recent activity is interesting. The YES movement is stirring again. Huge demonstrations have been held in Glasgow, Dumfries, Stirling, Inverness, Dundee, Dunfermline (tomorrow) leading up to Edinburgh in October.
Brexit is causing anxiety and it must be remembered that 62% voted to Remain.

The evidence may be circumstantial but that does not mean MI5 and Special Branch are not involved in dirty tricks.

Aug 2009
Londinium
As I said before there is a concerted effort to destabilise the SNP. All newspapers, with the notable exception of the National, daily (usually) print anti-Independence stories. The BBC, noted for its distorted reporting, tried to shut down the most popular Independence blogger.
Salmond is seeking a Judicial Review into the civil service complaints procedure. If he is successful others who have had accusations flung at them will benefit from his actions.
'Politicisation ... of the Scots Nats'??? Where have you been?

Can you tell me why the security services would not be interested in a movement aimed at breaking up the British state? After all they have acted against Labour in the past - the Zinoviev letter, the spying on Harold Wilson - and the Communists. What is the link? They were seen as a threat to the Establishment. To think there is nothing going on is very naive.

The timing of the recent activity is interesting. The YES movement is stirring again. Huge demonstrations have been held in Glasgow, Dumfries, Stirling, Inverness, Dundee, Dunfermline (tomorrow) leading up to Edinburgh in October.
Brexit is causing anxiety and it must be remembered that 62% voted to Remain.

So are those donating to Salmond also making donations to others accused of these crimes? Have they also been known to donate to other civil reviews? Or is this just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing their No.1 accused of something they don’t want to hear (the one they put faith in to deliver independence and had invested themselves in)?
If – IF – MI5 or any state branch has made up these accusations then it no longer becomes an SNP issue, it’s a UK issue and one where Salmond will find widespread support. Until then, it’s nothing but a conspiracy theory, on the same level of “that ref’s decision went against us because he’s always hated us – trust me”.

Anyway, back to my previous post, do these donators also offer money to those accused of sexual assaults and/or anyone seeking a Judicial Review? I suspect not – a politicised reaction to a police investigation, clearly.

The evidence may be circumstantial but that does not mean MI5 and Special Branch are not involved in dirty tricks.
This is a vacuous statement, what are you saying here that even though there is no evidence, it could still be true....How am I expected to respond to this kind of statement?

Lastly, this is in no way history in the making (at least based on current information or even suspicions that this information may exist!), despite the tenuous claim of such within the OP (a transparent attempt to get this thread past the mods I suspect).

Similar History Discussions