Is MI5 interfering in Scottish affairs?

Status
Closed

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Wessex
I must admit to having voted leave as a sort of protest vote, and I rather wished that I hadn't when the result came in so that I could blame everyone else if it all went wrong! Though I have become more convinced since that leaving is best.

May 2018
North Britain
GogLais: ‘What the Scots do now …
I hope you’ll remember that the SNP ≠ Scotland: separatists might be a substantial minority but are nonetheless a minority, albeit an annoyingly vocal one; and they are a decreasing minority as well.
• 2014 Referendum: Loyal: 2,001,926 (55.25% of turnout, 46.73% of electorate) / Disloyal: 1,617,989 (44.65% of turnout, 37.77% of electorate).
• 2015 GE: SNP 1,454,436 (49.97% of turnout, 35.52% of electorate; down 163,553 votes).
• 2016 SE: SNP Constituency vote: 1,059,898 (46.32% of turnout, 25.85% of electorate) / SNP Regional List vote: 953,587 (41.65% of turnout, 23.26% of electorate); down another 394,538 votes.
• 2017 GE: SNP 977,568 (36.84% of turnout, 24.51% of electorate; and down another 82,330 votes).

One should also note that much separatist support derives from people who are not even British. You might think you’re arguing with a Scot but half of them turn out to be as Scottish as Herr Mittler.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
After following this thread for a long time, with a typical Italian humor, I would comment that it's the unknown, absolutely secret and very efficient, Scottish Intelligence Agency [the SIA!] to influence the British Government about Brexit negotiations. Mrs May actually is mentally controlled by SIA agents. It's evident ...

Bish

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
After following this thread for a long time, with a typical Italian humor, I would comment that it's the unknown, absolutely secret and very efficient, Scottish Intelligence Agency [the SIA!] to influence the British Government about Brexit negotiations. Mrs May actually is mentally controlled by SIA agents. It's evident ...
O dear, now your in trouble Luke, you have let the secret out of the bag.

Careful, before you know it, you will wake up next to a haggis in your bed.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
O dear, now your in trouble Luke, you have let the secret out of the bag.

Careful, before you know it, you will wake up next to a haggis in your bed.
I use to sleep with an open eye ...

Btw, about eyes ... haven't you noted those little Scottish flags in Mrs May's pupils?

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
I think MI5 are probably about as interested as most of us are in Scottish football to be honest.
You think that MI5 is not interested in someone who is a member, and a past leader, of an organisation that seeks to break up the UK state? MI5 were interested in the activities of Nationalists when there were not many about, managing to intern at least one member on trumped up charges. So to glibly dismiss the interest of the state security service now is a wee bit disingenuous.
As to Salmond's innocence or guilt, the court case begins soon.

Scottish football ... now there's a topic!!!

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
Scotland had a referendum on whether to remain in the U.K. with the knowledge that an U.K. referendum on membership of the EU was at the least possible and there was no guarantee that the U.K. would vote to remain. Scotland voted to remain in the U.K. while in possession of those facts
The UKs membership of the EU was not in doubt during the Indyref campaign. Indeed, we were told that the only way to ensure Scotland stayed in the EU was by voting NO

The U.K. then voted to leave. What the Scots do know is up to them but this constant complaining that they were lied to or deceived does them no favours. They guessed wrongly, as many of us did.
What I , and many Scots, find galling is that, despite a 62% Remain vote, we are being forced out of the EU because of the selfish attitude of British (English) Nationalists.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
The UKs membership of the EU was not in doubt during the Indyref campaign. Indeed, we were told that the only way to ensure Scotland stayed in the EU was by voting NO

What I , and many Scots, find galling is that, despite a 62% Remain vote, we are being forced out of the EU because of the selfish attitude of British (English) Nationalists.
The Scottish referendum took place in September 2014. In January 2013 Cameron promised renegotiation with the EU and then a referendum if the Tories won the next general election in 2015 so the U.K.’s continuing membership of the EU was in doubt. The main issue discussed in the Scottish referendum was whether an independent Scotland could easily get membership of the EU. However the supporters of independence don’t seem to have argued that continuing U.K. membership of the EU was uncertain.

There are only so many ways of the same thing - Scotland voted to stay in the U.K., the U.K. had a referendum, Scotland doesn’t like the result - bluntly either get over it or do something about it.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions