Is occult history a real field of study ? And can I major in it?

Dec 2014
Oakland CA
Occult is history that is hidden whilst history is presented to the public. I was thinking of doing my field in the Middle East but can I do my field In the occult ? Mind you I still haven't got my AA

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
If you are currently at university, ask your tutor, guidance counselor or department head. If you are thinking of enrolling, ask the department head at the schools you plan to enter or find a school that does recognize it and go there.

If it is not a recognized field at this point, and you still want to specialize in it, take your degree in history, specializing in the time period or area of which you want to investigate the occult history. Iphigenia is right that occult history is history.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Occult is history that is hidden whilst history is presented to the public. I was thinking of doing my field in the Middle East but can I do my field In the occult ? Mind you I still haven't got my AA
What do you mean exactly with "Occult"?

This changes a lot the perspective. If you are going to research in the history of mystery cults, freemasonry, ancient Knight Orders, Secret Societies and similar ... [pagan cults like Wicca included], trust me: surprises are there to wait for you [I have done this for years and I had my surprises as well].

In any case it's a very fruitful and exciting field of research. Good luck.

Oct 2013
Europix
But if You go into it, I would be happy to hear from You now and then (and I suppose others too).

As Alpin said, it's full of surprises . And we like that !

Nov 2015
Gehenna
I sure hope it does not mean to jump into the boat with Graham Hancock and other nut-jobs, and to write about wisdom of the ancients, immortal mentors of mankind, pyramid powers, and a deep connection between consciousness and cosmology. :)

Dec 2014
Oakland CA
Thanks guys , I've been studying since I made this thread and found a few keys and words that reveal more to history than what Professors teach, unless they're in some secret society. Seems Gnostics were more accurate than modern day historians

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Sydney Australia
Aleister Crowley and his ilk are, like other individuals worthy of historical study - to the extent they had an influence or impact upon contemporary society via their words, deeds or writings. But only in that context.

Mar 2011
The subject is not (or at least should not be) the issue of scrutiny, the method is. So, if your method is to study the history, sociology, evolution, etc, of a subject, this should not constitute a problem in itself. If you on the other hand want to write a paper on the utility of astrology on election forecasts or if you want to present a modified version of Aristotle's physics as a better approach than the current physics theories, then you will be met by a lot of justified skepticism and you would need to present a watertight case to a very understanding supervisor in order not to be dismissed out of hand. As for occult history, a lot of mainstream research has already been made on the subject, even when it comes to modern occultism. If you treat occultism from a historical or sociological point of view, then that would be entirely in line with mainstream academia - again, as long as you stick to the mainstream method of doing and referencing research.

Jan 2014
Westmorland
Thanks guys , I've been studying since I made this thread and found a few keys and words that reveal more to history than what Professors teach, unless they're in some secret society. Seems Gnostics were more accurate than modern day historians
This doesn't fill one with confidence that the Hancock/Von Daniken trap is likely to be avoided.

Similar History Discussions