Is Shalwar Kameez a Punjabi dress?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Baggy Shalwar are associated with Muslims. Even Hindus in India and Nepal wear non-baggy type Pyjamas. Also, South Asian or Afghan type Kurta or Kameez is rarely seen being work more Northward in Central Asia or Iran.

Reactions: Azad67
Aug 2014
pakistan
It seems Scythians wore pajama/pants type trousers (like Turanis and people of steppe of later times) rather than the very baggy version we people wear.

1.png

Oct 2015
India
Allow some change in dress for warmer climate in plains of Pakistan. Also, lets us not rely on a single pic.

Salwar-Kameez is neither Arabic, nor Persian. So the other option is Kushan style dress.

Anyway what is your theory on the subject of dress.

Feb 2019
Ariaca
In Western Gujarat Salwar Kamiz were also very popular. Women here used to wear only 3 kind of dresses.

1) Typical Gujarati style Saree
2) Rajput style Saree by Ruling Rajput, Brahmin and Charan elites
3) Salwar Kamiz

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Ottomans also used to wear loose şalvars

and rarely still seen among elder Turkish people from the country side

and you can also see that in traditional Kurdish cloth,

+ as i can recall Mamluks also wore loose pants and maybe other middle easterners too.

so i guess there is some common origin somewhere for these all...

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Ottomans also used to wear loose şalvars

and rarely still seen among elder Turkish people from the country side

and you can also see that in traditional Kurdish cloth,

+ as i can recall Mamluks also wore loose pants and maybe other middle easterners too.

so i guess there is some common origin somewhere for these all...
The dress of Turkic people and Iranian is entirely different from the kind of Kameez worn by Muslims in Afghanistan and South Asia.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Shalwar Kameez is basically a dress introduced into the subcontinent by Muslim invaders, especially the Turks. Shalwar allows men and women to ride the horses with ease when they travelled. At the same time it also fits the Muslim dress code. Punjabis, being in the invasion path, were the first Indians who adopted it, with a lighter version to fit the hot Indian climate - hence 'Punjabi dress'.

During the last few decades, this dress has spread across South Asia, since its people are still comfortable with their Victorian modesty standards, and unable to adapt to the modern dress of European origin that exposes more skin. Even in the lands of its origin, Central Asia, people now wear modern dress, and not Shalwar Kameez. The Turkish lady who served me, as I lived in a yurt (Turkish tent) in Central Asia to experience the medieval Turkish life, wore a modern dress. But one can find Shalwar Kameez dress worn in remote backward Turkish villages.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
KL
the shalwar worn in pakistan and india is not the baggy shalwar which is worn in lets say balochistan, yes the indians did wear baggy pants, i have worn payjama which is essentially like a legging which is tightly fit, so indians did wear shalwar or the baggy pants before the islamic invasion. The shalwar worn in india and pakistan is just a misnomer, they may have been called loose payjama or something like that before, but it doesnt mean it derived from outside. here is the painted proof

this painting is from bihar/east india rather than Punjab 1015 AD, notice the loose pants as depicted in the body line and the line of the pants, clearly indicating baggy trousers

1552825908288.png

legging type payjama, this is from gilgit

1552826159632.png

here is one shalwar type payjama from Kashmir painting 600 AD

1552826234372.png

legging type payjama here from gupta period

1552826301485.png

buddha, chandraketugarh, bengal, 1-2 BC bengal, notice the folds in his pants

1552826635671.png

parthian statue, same pants

1552826949031.png

different shalwar, same parthian ethnicity

1552826967896.png

national shalwar kameez from india/pakistan

1552827050509.png

pashtun

1552827209642.png

balochistan, baggy compared to pashtun version

1552827230842.png

so the conclusion is, baggy trousers were worn in pakistan/india before islamic invasion and the baggy trousers like the baloch for instance was never worn in the sub continent, the baggy shalwar of the western asia has no resemblance with the shalwar fitting of south asia as pashtun shalwar is not as baggy as baloch one, pashtun shalwar resembles indian shalwar and not iranian shalwar. the tailoring is also a matter of dispute, since the pashtun tailored dress resembles indian dresses especially kameez, which also resembles kurta, but this is not the case with lets say persian shirts/kurtas etc.

regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajeev