Is Social Media a social evil?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I didn't realise it was that much, but it sounds about right for when I was growing up, and while I worked. I had to have an escape, first from a ghastly school, and later from a stressful job.

Today, with heaps of choice, from free to air, a large DVD collection, a larger collection in MP4 and Netflix, it's closer to 2 hours a day. I get bored. Today my TV watching is based on a Darwinian concept. I call it "survival of the interesting'. A show hasten minutes to capture my interest. :)
Yes ... there is nothing wrong in enjoying TV or internet, the point is that we have to be in control. Now I'm typing on Historum while I'm watching X-Factor Italy. If I'm typing here it means that TV is not monopolizing my attention and that my brain is free to be "multitasking". It happens I simply spend time watching TV, but it is a choice of mine, not an insane lazy habit ...

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Yes. Very Durkheimian answer; I hadn't thought of anomie, but it 's a pretty good explanation.

Not a common term, so I've added a definition in case you're not familiar.

Anomie (/ˈænəˌmi/) is a "condition in which society provides little moral guidance to individuals".[1] It is the breakdown of social bonds between an individual and the community, e.g., under unruly scenarios resulting in fragmentation of social identity and rejection of self-regulatory values.[2][citation needed] .

Anomie - Wikipedia
Discussing moral guidance, social bonds and social identity today, is, I'm sorry to say, taboo for most. Everybody is their own god.

Social Media is a tool: Like any new technology it can be used for good or evil.

Couple days ago I saw a youtube video on facebook censorship, wasn't sure whether to share it on facebook or not.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Multi tasking you say?

Was a time I was incapable of pissing and whistling at the same time But today, I tend to sneeze, fart and piss simultaneously. (no, really)

When I'm on this forum I must give my undivided attention as I can't type for toffee, and simply must pay attention..

Like everything in life its more than a black and white answer.

To the individual it means more information, more freedom to look at what interests you more and filter the stuff your not so interested in however ............ compared to when I grew up in the 80's and 90's its definitely less sociable, very self indulgent.

I also think it has a bad effect on our relationships between the sexes, your better half has hundreds of guys with direct access to some form of messaging either FB, Instagram whatever, if your very unlucky Tinder.
In the good old days if a guy was desperate enough to try and contact your other half they'd literally have to phone your house land line and be like "errghh is Sarah there?".

I think online dating is a shambles, it literally makes women think they can order a man like they do online shopping.

I'm old school in that way I like the chemistry of meeting someone, you can't order perfect, it doesn't work that way.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
"I think online dating is a shambles, it literally makes women think they can order a man like they do online shopping."

Agreed. I've tried it twice, and dated about half a dozen women. I hadn't realised how much people lie on those sites. I tried not to lie, but of course we want to be seen in the best possible light.

I'm old school too. After many years it dawned on me that every half decent relationship I've had was the result of being introduced by a third party.

My favourite on-line date was with a woman who fibbed about her appearance. Her circumference was roughly the same as her height. (around 5 feet) As we had a coffee, she told me about her pet dragons. I thought she was being witty or metaphorical . She was not. They were very small, usually perching on her shoulders.Oh, they were invisible. I kid you not. That date lasted about 12 minutes, until I excused myself, and ran back to my car. Pretty much gave up on online dating around then.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
on line dating is like everything human a mixture of the bad (80%) and the good (5%)
plenty of people have found partner this way
modern city life is pretty isolating and while dating work-colleague is frequent , on line dating give at least a wide choice
keep in mind that the first response will usually be the worst .
did some for a year or so and had good lovers and fiends to this day ,

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
You are absolutely right.

An ex girlfriend* went on a dating site, and found a guy within 3 weeks. That was in 2002. They married in 2005, and are still together as far as I know.

Me? I had a lot of first dates. No second dates. My decision about 30%

*she wasn't my ex when she first went on line. I called it a day when she began sleeping with the guy.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
What bothers me the most in social media is that they offer a cheap substitute to real life, which many people, especially the young ones, tend to follow more and more, often preferring this from the real thing. I often see youngsters sitting together, all typing and playing with their mobiles, not interacting with each other. As if "other" is a facebook account or a phone number, not a real person. Often, they prefer communicating through machines, instead of direct contact. I see young people (especially) sharing every moment of their life with their facebook audience, announcing to the world where they went, what they ate, who they saw, etc, etc. As if living on a TV set, not in real life, reminding me a bit of that movie "The Truman Show". Life often seems too loud, too fast, too shallow. Artificial, fast food life, equally harmful to the mind and soul as fast food is to the body. A little bit might be OK, but in excess it can prove disastrous. Maybe i'm just another old-timer reacting to the changes of the world around him, but really, how can one savour life, enjoy crumbs of its amazing depth and breadth, without the attention it demands, the introspection, silence, contemplation, on the simplest of things which are often the most important...

I don't use social media, though everyone around me do - albeit just to get in touch with friends and relatives. I don't have a mobile anymore, years now, though I was one of the first to own one decades back. I served in the navy, and often we were at sea for one or two weeks - this mobile was the only means of communicating with loved ones, for me and half the crew that was borrowing it on a regular basis :D. Nowadays, I use my wife's mobile whenever I can't avoid using one, and we are almost always together, so I don't need a phone to talk to the person I want to the most. And there's always the classic telephone for the rest. I don't even watch TV at home anymore, I almost never turn it on - I find it incredibly boring. An impression confirmed when visiting and the TV is on.

Now, I may sound like a caveman, but these are just my personal choices and preferences. I do not object to any of the above - social media, mobiles, TV. With one condition: good measure. As with almost everything, it's the excess that proves troublesome. When they are just complementing a healthy and normal social life with its daily activities (to the degree that it can be 'healthy and normal' anyway), they are not a problem, they might even enrich it. The problem begins when they begin to suck people away from true life and into an artificial one. And sadly, they seem to be rather addictive and capable of doing just that. Perhaps humans have always had a frequent tendency to escape real life into a controlled, artificial one, getting addicted to whatever means provide this escape. So the answer might be to strive and make real life more appealing, joyful and comfortable, an individual but also a communal and public effort, thus taking away the incentive for seeking these attributes in an artificial one, a refuge from reality. And to be honest, I'd rather have a relative addicted to Facebook, than having him addicted to alcohol or worse. With that said, every time I manage to unglue my 6 years old niece from her tablet to play together, is a triumph that I particularly enjoy. And as I have noticed with immense satisfaction, in the end, she too prefers human contact over the dazzling and impressive world of modern technology. :)

Similar History Discussions