Is Social Media a social evil?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Walked the Santiago Camino , an exilarating experience
I was one of the very few who had no camera and no mobile phone ,
this is because I believe life must be taken raw with no device between me and the experienced universe
many of my fellow pilgrims though I was from the middle ages , to which I concurred

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Nah, you don't sound at all like a caveman/Luddite/technophobe. I think you sound like a person who knows their own mind.

I've mentioned I don't use Social media, because I think it's an irrelevance and too easily abused. I resisted a mobile phone for years.Then had one for emergencies only. I did not give out my number to ANYONE; I did not want to be that available.

About a year ago I saw a an excellent deal fo ra terrific phone, with an annual prepaid sim for under $200. Recently I installed Whatsapp, which provided free voice mail and text anywhere in the world. ( I have a sister who is crew on an airline, longhaul)

I don't really think Social media is evil, but I think it gets put to evil use, and I really do think that it is an irrelevance in its present forms. Also, I don't like being conned, which is what Social Media is about--when there is a great-looking free app, such as Facebook or Twitter, you are not the customer ,you are the product.

PLUS I'm really paranoid about huge companies, such as Facebook, Microsoft, Apple and Amazon-and of course the media empires such as Fox. Hate Amazon the most , because they exploit their workers.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Walked the Santiago Camino , an exilarating experience
I was one of the very few who had no camera and no mobile phone ,
this is because I believe life must be taken raw with no device between me and the experienced universe
many of my fellow pilgrims though I was from the middle ages , to which I concurred

Wow! With no electronics!. I hope you kept a diary. If you did not, I urge you to write down everything you can remember, asap . Travelling is great at ANY age, but I found the experience varies with age and with one's own life experiences.

In 2000, I went backpacking, alone, around Southern Ireland and Scotland. I had only a borrowed film camera. No diary. Still have many of the photos. Had the best time, staying at official Youth Hostels whenever possible.*. The experience gave me the confidence to be a lot more self reliant.

* OFFICIAL Youth Hostels are relatively cheap, clean, and safe. No alcohol permitted, and you can book in advance as you travel. There is no age limit; the youngest traveller I met was a kid of about 10 with her parents. The oldest, a group of ladies in their seventies in a mini van..Plus I met interesting people from allover the world. Backpacking for me was as much about the travelling as the destination. Did a LOT of walking, and was 3/4t inch taller by the time I got back to my friends in Cambridge. That was due to carrying an A frame backpack for a month.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Going by my own childen and their friends, younger people don't seem to use Facebook as much now. They seem to use Snapchat and Whatsapp more. Facebook to them is for 'the olds' . In other words, us ! :D

Similar History Discussions