Is South Vietnam survived, how developed would it be economically?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The latter stages of the Vietnam War were conventional.
Interesting. Why'd the Vietnamese Communists switch from guerrilla warfare to conventional warfare?

Anything they wanted. The point was, they were not pulling in a single economic direction.
OK.

Compared to the Philippines, yes, and Thailand didn't end up with a corrupt dictator like Marcos, although it's certainly had corruption problems of its own, and continues to have, to this day.
OK.

Also, just how much of a role did the Chinese play in Thailand's history and economic development? By the Chinese, I mean the Chinese who actually live in Thailand.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Because they had military superiority.

Conventional warfare is the last stage of an insurgency, according the Mao’s doctrine.
Because the US withdrew, correct? If so, that makes sense.

I wonder if we'll see something similar in Afghanistan if the US will ever fully withdraw from there.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Because the US withdrew, correct? If so, that makes sense.

I wonder if we'll see something similar in Afghanistan if the US will ever fully withdraw from there.
If my memory doesn’t fail me much the USA withdrew military in 1973. The problem is that they also lowered drastically the funding to the ARVN. North Vietnam invaded the South in 1975. So, there was still more than a year of guerrilla warfare.

About Afghanistan it is quite possible, even if there won’t be a foreign invasion. And the USA are not that alone there as they were in South Vietnam. It is a NATO show.