Is the bible racist?

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
No. What I meant is that the entire story is ridiculous. One man who hears the thoughts of 7 billion people at once? Is that not the most absurd thing ever put forth? There is a Book of Life with everything that everyone did written down? Do think some "academic" is going to find the back-up copy?

You used the word "proof" and doubted the existence of Moses. Do you think you can prove or disprove the existence of God? If you feel the existence of Moses is disproved, what happens to the likelihood of God's existence then?

Do you not understand? It's a matter of faith.
Why would anyone need some pin-headed academic to go scouring through the ancient footnotes to uncover some trifling inconsistency as to whether Moses five toes or six?

I'll try to make this point one last time. The only way to understand the Bible is to accept it as written - FIRST. If you have the faith, are in the spirit, or can duplicate that, then you can put the diverse pieces together, the eschatology, the soteriology, the geography, the timelines, and grasp "the word" (singular). Then, if you want to believe or not, it is up to you. Pulling to pieces the way you do and the way the academics do, and give each piece a name, studying it like one-off questions for a trivia game, you'll probably never get Humpty-Dumpty back together again.
Pin-headed academic! Then why are you wasting your time here? Obviously, you're the best theologian to ever live.

And no. Each part has to be considered before it is understood as a whole.

As this is in the Chamber, and I am having an incredibly hard time holding my tongue against such a glorious display of arrogance and ineptitude, I will take my leave, just like @Cepheus, because God forbid that we have a conversation. Especially since you know better than those pin-headed academics, who have devoted their whole lives to the study of the Bible. :think:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
God is not a man. We cannot image Him as anything even close to human comprehension. We cannot start to measure God's abilities in human terms. It is ridiculous to think a man can hear the thoughts of 7 billion, but why is that impossible for God?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
OK folks, calm down.

First of all, the existence or non-existence of God or gods, is not a subject for debate on Historum. It's something that is inherently unprovable by science, and is a matter of faith. We could ne here until the apocalypse and not come to an agreement.

On Historum, we discuss religion in a historical context - its effects on history and societies, its evolution etc.

Now, AlpinLuke's warning was to mind the way discussions were going - the posts were starting to get aggressive and strident. Rather than wait for it to get to the point of needing action to be taken, he issued a pre-emptive warning.

So, please take it as it was meant, take a deep breath, and let's start this discussion again on a calmer tone.

Thank you.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
OK folks, calm down.

First of all, the existence or non-existence of God or gods, is not a subject for debate on Historum. It's something that is inherently unprovable by science, and is a matter of faith. We could ne here until the apocalypse and not come to an agreement.
I agree and have no intention of continuing in the discussion. But to make your case even stronger, I'd like to point out some people believe the apocalypse has already begun (historicism) and some believe it is already over (preterism).

Feb 2011
Scotland
All tremendously thoughtful and helpful posts, thank you.

I'd just like to point out that it is a central plank of traditional Jewish belief that Moses transcribed the word of God directly as dictated to him as opposed to devising the content himself and therefore that the content of the Torah is directly of Divine Origin. It is also a traditional belief that Moses was additionally dictated the Oral Torah (which was only written down much later).

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
All tremendously thoughtful and helpful posts, thank you.

I'd just like to point out that it is a central plank of traditional Jewish belief that Moses transcribed the word of God directly as dictated to him as opposed to devising the content himself and therefore that the content of the Torah is directly of Divine Origin. It is also a traditional belief that Moses was additionally dictated the Oral Torah (which was only written down much later).
Definitely! I'm somewhat aware of the Oral Torah tradition, and the traditional beliefs as it pertains to the origins of the Pentateuch. My goal here was to present an academic angle for approaching Scripture, which is an angle that may oftentimes be divorced from faith. I've always been immensely interested in the Tanakh. Could you point me in the direction of some good sources/information on the Oral Torah? There's something so compelling about the Tanakh to me. I think it's because it's so old, so important, and has so many glorious and profound scenes.

Feb 2011
Scotland
Definitely! I'm somewhat aware of the Oral Torah tradition, and the traditional beliefs as it pertains to the origins of the Pentateuch. My goal here was to present an academic angle for approaching Scripture, which is an angle that may oftentimes be divorced from faith. I've always been immensely interested in the Tanakh. Could you point me in the direction of some good sources/information on the Oral Torah? There's something so compelling about the Tanakh to me. I think it's because it's so old, so important, and has so many glorious and profound scenes.
You presented it it very lucidly thank you, with the erudition of a theology scholar! A pleasure to read.

Re the Oral Torah, I would suggest this article on Chabad.org-
What is the "Oral Torah"?
The Oral Torah was eventually committed to writing around 200CE as the Mishnah (which with the debates upon it by scholars in the Gemara forms the Talmud.)

Similar History Discussions