Is the decline of the West really all that bad?

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Decline of the West? That is news to me. What is happening is the rapid spreading of the Western civilization across the globe.

Some might interpret it as a decline, but in no way it is. The adoption of the Western civilization across the planet shows its preeminence.

May 2018
Antarctica
On the contrary, that book was the work of a genius. Of course, it's hard to read and hard to understand and Spengler tended to go off-topic a lot.

Decline of the West? That is news to me. What is happening is the rapid spreading of the Western civilization across the globe.

Some might interpret it as a decline, but in no way it is. The adoption of the Western civilization across the planet shows its preeminence.
:lol: LOL. :lol:

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
If by "decline of the west" you mean that western nations don't dominate the world as they once did, I don't regard that as a bad thing. That other areas like Asia have reached parity with the West, and may surpsass it isn't a bad thing.

Besides, much of the culture of the West has become part of world civilization and culture. There really isn't ant European, Indian, or Chinese science ant more, there is just modern Science. Olympics are just a thing western countries compete in, and soccer is played in many countries, not just in the West.

May 2018
Antarctica
If by "decline of the west" you mean that western nations don't dominate the world as they once did, I don't regard that as a bad thing. That other areas like Asia have reached parity with the West, and may surpsass it isn't a bad thing.

Besides, much of the culture of the West has become part of world civilization and culture. There really isn't ant European, Indian, or Chinese science ant more, there is just modern Science. Olympics are just a thing western countries compete in, and soccer is played in many countries, not just in the West.
Nope. As Spengler wrote, reality is more complicated than that.

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
The decline of the west is less about "oh no we lost a _____" and more about the slow decay of art and culture across the entire western world. i highly recommend fining the unabridged version and having a read.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
There's a rise of the Western Civilization, but also a decline of its core area, Europe and the US.

This is similar to the formidable expansion of the Hellenistic civilization, at the time Greece proper plunged, as well as the expansion of the Roman culture through the Empire, and the clear decline of Italy since mid 1st century

Similar History Discussions