Is the east asian preference for white skin due to racism?

Status
Closed
Jan 2016
India
East Asians already have white skin, so I do not what you're talking about. Caucasoid facial features, maybe?

Sephiroth

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
It is a Top Secret
Well not all East Asians have naturally white skin, but it is desirable for as it stood for being 'high class' (not working in open fields), so people say.. white skin is also associated with 'tenderness', which is something desirable fo some.

And as for facial features- I am sure most don't want to have the exactly same features as 'caucasoid', but some people just have no nosebridges for example, the there is eventually a desire to have at least some. Like some 'caucasoids' prefer a smaller nose and do surgery etc. For them its too much.. The best result is something intermediate probably.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
No.

It's tied to skin completion historically being linked to a person's socio-economic class. The aristocracy did not labor in the sun, so their skin was pale, while the poor farmers and fishermen were tan or brown skinned as a result of their labor.

Modern Western attitudes towards complexion have similar origins. Historically just as in East Asia, the peasants would be tanned and the aristocrats pale. However in more recent history tan skin began to be seen as a sign of high social status, because it was only the wealthy who had the time and means to take holidays and sunbathe. The poor were too busy laboring in factories.

Jan 2015
EARTH
No, it is a historical preference since BC times when they had no real contact with darker skinned races.

You'll have to ask the same questions as to why western eurasians aka europeans had the same preference for most of its history.
And also why almost all cultures have a historical preference for women to have a lighter complexion than the males of the same population.

Speculating the reasons why is beyond the scope of history.

Last edited:
May 2009
When you look at Chinese make-up in history, women even tried to make themselves look literally white. But this predates any western influence. It's just their own cultural beauty standards. They probably associated whiteness with delicate things like flowers, porcelain, ice, jade, etc.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I mean like for a lighter skin tone, like pure white like snow
No, it has nothing to do with racism.

Racist attitudes in the West towards Black people originates with the African slave trade, which wasn't part of the history of East Asia.

Last edited:
Jun 2016
Hungary
it have nothing to do with it, lighter skin color is preferred because it is associated with higher socio-economic status.

other than that, east asian already have naturally light skin color. so i really dont understand the whole East Asian wants to look "caucasian" thing. not true at all

Status
Closed