Is the Manstein Plan (Sickle Cut) main reason of France's defeat in 1940 or are there other main reasons ?

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Seems I am having a hard time convincing you. Its many years ago since I studied this topic and I am sure that someone will have published an authoritative book somewhere.

On the previous page to the one I gave you, the author does say its the Ligne de Contact.

Maybe this map will convince you (from 51st Highlanders) - I got repulse wrong. I should have been Ligne de Receuil. Anyway there was also a Ligne de Soutien as well in my father's section

(the soutien is also the under maginot lignes.JPG vestment for a priest) . Three lines were very normal in WW1 with the first lightly held as I am sure you know - so its natural to have the same system at the outset of WW2.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
How many divisions did the French Seventh Army have? Would it have been enough to cover the Ardennes had the French Seventh Army been stationed in that sector?
@peccavi My question here is meant for you, in case you're wondering.[/QUOTE]
Here is the French 7th Army - one of the Elite units and designed to be mobile and that was the reason it was selected to hare off into Holland (which it did successfully).

Orginally I believe it was envisioned that it should constitute the mobile reserve.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Seems I am having a hard time convincing you. Its many years ago since I studied this topic and I am sure that someone will have published an authoritative book somewhere.

On the previous page to the one I gave you, the author does say its the Ligne de Contact.

Maybe this map will convince you (from 51st Highlanders) - I got repulse wrong. I should have been Ligne de Receuil. Anyway there was also a Ligne de Soutien as well in my father's section

(the soutien is also the under View attachment 21064 vestment for a priest) . Three lines were very normal in WW1 with the first lightly held as I am sure you know - so its natural to have the same system at the outset of WW2.
Well, that's exactly where I come from.

Relevé

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
1st Light Mechanized Division (France) - Wikipedia

Just checking on the the main hitting power of the 1st DLM, I would have thought it could have taken on and defeated head-on any Panzer division but experts might tell you different. Of course if it was lucky as the British were at Arras (only two brigades strong) and collided with the logistic tail of Rommel it would have been a near massacre. Under these circumstances Rommel would be forced to turn back (btw he panicked at Arras claiming he had been hit by five British Divisions - Hitler\OKH turned three Panzer Division around to deal with the threat - beginning of the Dunkirk Miracle).

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Hi Isleifson

I was hoping that his death might be mentioned in the book "Dunkirk, the Men they left behind" - story of 51st Highland who were eventually surrendered to Rommel at St Valery en Caux.

This is all I can find of any casualties:

51st Maginot.jpg

I think I can find out his regiment and maybe what happened if you are interested.

Regards

Paul

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Hi Isleifson

I was hoping that his death might be mentioned in the book "Dunkirk, the Men they left behind" - story of 51st Highland who were eventually surrendered to Rommel at St Valery en Caux.

This is all I can find of any casualties:

View attachment 21087

I think I can find out his regiment and maybe what happened if you are interested.

Regards

Paul
Yes, thank you.

The grave was in a bad shape. But it was rebuild by the Commanwealth Grave Service 2 years ago.

Now it is cleaned every year by the Souvenir Français.

Le Souvenir français - Wikipedia

The writing on the stone is

Sutherland Georges Robert

born 1919
killed 28.04.40

Gordon Highlanders Regiment 5th btn

Regards

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
George Sutherland was born in the Shetland Islands, Orgill in the District of Lunnasting - northern third of the Island.

Roll of Honour - Shetland - Lunnasting

5th Battalion was a Territorial Unit but these battalions (part-time soldiers) were always understrength so I guess from his age of 21years, he was a conscript - the class of 21 year olds were the first to be called up in June 1939.

His death is recorded as Accidental due to Drowning in the River Moselle - unfortunately the War Diary of 5th Gordon Highlanders was lost\captured at St Valery so I can't find any more details.

Did stumble across this map of the 51st position on the Maginot - Ligne de Contact is about 7 miles from the forts.

51 saar front.JPG

Similar History Discussions