Is the name John considered a Jewish/Hebrew name?

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
In Europe most of the people have Jewish names in origin or relatives with Jewish names. The Bible had a strong influence. Now I see families giving names to their sons influenced by a Soap Opera character or a football player.
That’s a good point there. Bible names such as Matthew, John, and Paul are very popular. But not so much with regards to Samson and Job for example

From my own experience of course I knew about Catholic Popes with the name John, I knew of Catholic Kings with the name John. I understand the earliest Christians had the name John as well think of John The Baptist. But the reason I actually created this thread was because I came across a Jewish zealot who fought against the Roman empire, this zealot was known as John of Giscala and I was just blown away by that. It both interested and impressed me in a sense.

What I would ask is how many American Jews or Jews that speak English are born with the name John today? My name is John of course so now I feel more a connection to the Jewish people and I think that’s great

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Names mean different things to different people. So I imagine on this topic there’s going to be a variety of opinions.

Not too different from how we try to figure out if pizza originated from China or from Italy. It’s a fun and interesting topic for me. Thank you all for the responses