Is the photo faked?

Nov 2016
Germany
Here is a translation of the Russian text:

The most famous "holocaust photo" of course turned out to be a fake

This photo is in the US National Archives in the “World War II Photos” section, with the caption “Slave labor in the Buchenwald concentration camp near Jena, where many died of malnutrition when US troops entered the camp.”

The famous blogger Furtherglory, who first discovered the fake, writes about this photo:

“The famous photograph was taken at the Buchenwald concentration camp, inside block 56, by Private H. Miller of the US Civilian Communications Department on April 16, 1945, five days after the camp was liberated by the Sixth Armored Division of the United States Army on April 11, 1945. The photo was published by the New York Times on May 6, 1945 in the article “The World Must Not Forget,” with the caption “Crowded Beds in the Buchenwald Prison Camp.”
You should not particularly think about why, 5 days after the liberation of the camp, the sleeping places were crowded and why in April the prisoners are lying naked. We can confidently explain this with the staged nature of photography.

Another less spectacular example of photo forgery is an alleged photograph of the Indonesian dictator Sukarno with Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie Kennedy. The CIA had actually planned to recruit the blonde beauty as erotic bait for the Indonesian over the mafia boss and Kennedy confederate Sam Giancana, who had a short-term relationship with MM, but this was not accomplished because MM died before. But either way - the photo is faked.

1565613158267.jpeg

The fake is produced by the Indonesian artist Agan Harahap.

Quote:

The image is just one of dozens that Harahap has manipulated to fool social media users and news outlets in recent years.
Harahap said he created the fake-paparazzi photos to highlight the problem of untrustworthy viral internet content and poor digital literacy in Indonesia -- and to warn social media users not to believe everything they see.
“Because what makes an impact on social media, it affects real life, especially in religion and politics. That’s not okay,” he said.
Other viral photos created by Harahap include one of him drinking cheap vodka with Metallica singer James Hetfield, and actress Angelina Jolie looking broody after apparently being arrested by Indonesian police.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Here is a translation of the Russian text:

The most famous "holocaust photo" of course turned out to be a fake

This photo is in the US National Archives in the “World War II Photos” section, with the caption “Slave labor in the Buchenwald concentration camp near Jena, where many died of malnutrition when US troops entered the camp.”

The famous blogger Furtherglory, who first discovered the fake, writes about this photo:

“The famous photograph was taken at the Buchenwald concentration camp, inside block 56, by Private H. Miller of the US Civilian Communications Department on April 16, 1945, five days after the camp was liberated by the Sixth Armored Division of the United States Army on April 11, 1945. The photo was published by the New York Times on May 6, 1945 in the article “The World Must Not Forget,” with the caption “Crowded Beds in the Buchenwald Prison Camp.”
You should not particularly think about why, 5 days after the liberation of the camp, the sleeping places were crowded and why in April the prisoners are lying naked. We can confidently explain this with the staged nature of photography.

Another less spectacular example of photo forgery is an alleged photograph of the Indonesian dictator Sukarno with Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie Kennedy. The CIA had actually planned to recruit the blonde beauty as erotic bait for the Indonesian over the mafia boss and Kennedy confederate Sam Giancana, who had a short-term relationship with MM, but this was not accomplished because MM died before. But either way - the photo is faked.

View attachment 22194

The fake is produced by the Indonesian artist Agan Harahap.

Quote:

The image is just one of dozens that Harahap has manipulated to fool social media users and news outlets in recent years.
Harahap said he created the fake-paparazzi photos to highlight the problem of untrustworthy viral internet content and poor digital literacy in Indonesia -- and to warn social media users not to believe everything they see.
“Because what makes an impact on social media, it affects real life, especially in religion and politics. That’s not okay,” he said.
Other viral photos created by Harahap include one of him drinking cheap vodka with Metallica singer James Hetfield, and actress Angelina Jolie looking broody after apparently being arrested by Indonesian police.
So Harahap produced this image in 1945 huh?

Nov 2016
Germany
So Harahap produced this image in 1945 huh?
What makes you think I'm suggesting that? The Soukarno fake photo is of course new and the alleged scene in the 1960s.

PS. The concentration camp fake photo is NOT by Harahap, of course. Nowhere I´m stating this.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
What makes you think I'm suggesting that? The fake is of course new and the alleged scene in the 1960s.

PS. The camp fake photo is NOT by Harapa, of course. Nowhere I´m stating this.
I'm not suggesting that you're suggesting it. I'm suggesting that the Russian who wrote that article seems to think it.

Nov 2016
Germany
I'm not suggesting that you're suggesting it. I'm suggesting that the Russian who wrote that article seems to think it.
No, the Russian text has no reference to Harahap, whose fake photo I discovered during research for my own fantasy novel with Marilyn Monroe as protagonist.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
No, the Russian text has no reference to Harapa, whose fake photo I discovered during research for my own fantasy novel with Marilyn Monroe as protagonist.
OK. But what does the Sukarno photo have to do with the Buchenwald photo? We have researched that one and found that the NYT did apparently remove the standing man, probably for modesty reasons.

Nov 2016
Germany
But what does the Sukarno photo have to do with the Buchenwald photo? We have researched that one and found that the NYT did apparently remove the standing man, probably for modesty reasons
I'm suggesting that - as in the Soukarno photo - the complete scene in the camp might be faked, no matter if with or without a standing man. One has to consider the following argument in the Russian text, which does not aim at a manipulation of the picture in detail, but considers the whole scene questionable because of the alleged shooting date 5 days after the liberation:

Another example for photo fake (the people are of course not faked):

1565616086215.jpeg 1565616096681.jpeg

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I'm suggesting that - as in the Soukarno photo - the complete scene in the camp might be faked, no matter if with or without a standing man. One has to consider the following argument in the Russian text, which does not aim at a manipulation of the picture in detail, but considers the whole scene questionable because of the alleged shooting date 5 days after the liberation:

Another example for photo fake:

View attachment 22195 View attachment 22196
I see. And are you of the belief that the events in the concentration camps were also faked?

Similar History Discussions