Is the revival of ancient religions possible?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I think, hope, we will see mammoths long before we are all worshiping Moloch or some other fantasy. I've seen in the media every so often about these "Satanists" and I wonder if they realize that if they believe in the Biblical devil, then they must also believe in the Biblical God as one is predicated on the other.

I hold to saying that an extinct religion, such as in Ancient Egypt or pre Christian Europe cannot be revived, and by that I mean that it returns as it was complete with it's belief system. We cannot know what they thought and did. For instance, I can look at the fresco from Pompeii that depicts adherents of the cult of Isis standing outside a temple. I can recreate the robes they wear, the facade of the temple, I can get fellow adherents to stand facing the priestess as the fresco shows, but what will we do, how will we worship, what thoughts of a belief in Isis will we hold in our heads? All we can do is essentially pretend.

However, as religion is man made, they can create a new religion if they want. They can call themselves the Cult of Isis, and risk arrest for terrorism or have their new-age store attacked, but the actual belief system will be new. If it survives several generations it will be a real cult of Isis, those born into it will believe in it just as much as anybody believes in the Christian or any other mainstream god, but it will never be the original Cult of Isis, just a copy with beliefs and practices that the original believers will laugh at or even be insulted by.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
I think, hope, we will see mammoths long before we are all worshiping Moloch or some other fantasy. I've seen in the media every so often about these "Satanists" and I wonder if they realize that if they believe in the Biblical devil, then they must also believe in the Biblical God as one is predicated on the other.

I hold to saying that an extinct religion, such as in Ancient Egypt or pre Christian Europe cannot be revived, and by that I mean that it returns as it was complete with it's belief system. We cannot know what they thought and did. For instance, I can look at the fresco from Pompeii that depicts adherents of the cult of Isis standing outside a temple. I can recreate the robes they wear, the facade of the temple, I can get fellow adherents to stand facing the priestess as the fresco shows, but what will we do, how will we worship, what thoughts of a belief in Isis will we hold in our heads? All we can do is essentially pretend.

However, as religion is man made, they can create a new religion if they want. They can call themselves the Cult of Isis, and risk arrest for terrorism or have their new-age store attacked, but the actual belief system will be new. If it survives several generations it will be a real cult of Isis, those born into it will believe in it just as much as anybody believes in the Christian or any other mainstream god, but it will never be the original Cult of Isis, just a copy with beliefs and practices that the original believers will laugh at or even be insulted by.
Religions without continuance are unlikely to have a revival; we can recover the older traditions; it will not be anything like the previous thing.
Deities as we know them are artificial; they can range from deities of creation and deities of specialties.

Dec 2016
SAN
Other than Wicca, I don't see much line of support for ancient religions and mythologies (such as paganism).

Why should we?

Are they closer to the TRUTH than the beliefs that survived?

Why not bring back Zeus and Hermes if we are going to revitalize past characters?

Theosophy strove to preserve the ancient wisdoms. What branches are left in America are usually small groups residing over libraries of interesting, if esoteric, books.

Similar History Discussions