Is the UK a ghost of its former glory?

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
For example?
My brother is Portuguese his wife is Portuguese immigrated to U.S.A were born two children they are born American, but the blood is Portuguese

Going by this prism the children are more Portuguese than American citizens

Tell us your opinion, about my example.

Por exemplo
Meu irmão é português sua esposa é portuguêsa imigraram para U.S.A nasceram dois filhos eles são americanos de nascença,mas o sangue é português

Indo por esse prisma os filhos são mais portuguêses do que cidadões americanos .

Digam a vossa opinião,sobre o meu exemplo.

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
I don't understand your point, people like Sajiv Javid and Sadiq Khan are British by birth and very British in character, and the fact that Sajiv Javid was elected as a (Conservative!) MP and is talked of as a possible PM shows that they are generally accepted as such. The surest way of preventing people of immigrant descent from integrating is to suggest that they cannot be properly British!
Look, integrating is one thing.

Giving power to a person with a foreign background (very possibly only because of political-correctness) is a completely other thing.

I haven't seen much of this Javid guy just because he came relatively soon (although I already have high reservations toward him), but Sadiq Khan has proven to be unreliable and actually destructive in some way to the people of London and UK.
He's not suitable for this position. Definitely!

And I don't see another reason for him to be there, just by this argument that we need more politically-correct people in office (as the demographics is obviously rapidly changing).

But giving so much power just because of political-correctness is VERY wrong at its core.

And by saying all this, I'm still not saying that idiots and traitors like Corbyn (who are supposedly very British; this is actually debatable) are a better option.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
They haven't been given power because of political correctness or anything else, but were elected to their posts. Sajiv Javid is MP for Bromsgrove in Worcestershire, about as English a place as you could find, more than 95% white British in population, so according to your logic British people shouldn' t be allowed to choose him to represent them!

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
They haven't been given power because of political correctness or anything else, but were elected to their posts. Sajiv Javid is MP for Bromsgrove in Worcestershire, about as English a place as you could find, more than 95% white British in population, so according to your logic British people shouldn' t be allowed to choose him to represent them!
Not that necessarily they shouldn't. I haven't said such a thing. That is more of your presumption.

What I've said (and how the discussion actually started) was when your fellow countryman said that Sajid is there because he was born in the UK. He also said that "we in the UK decide" as if he knew beforehand that I'm a separate "we".
I was actually feeling myself very British, and comments like these show once again that there are double standards.
Eastern Europeans are looked down as a different (non-British bunch) while migrants from the Third World are being treated with priviliges.
So (according to your liberal logic) I should have the same right to be your PM as Savid Javid or your mayor as Khan, as I consider myself a more reliable person than him.

I think the guy that actually started this should be kind of ashamed as he never knew if I was British or not. And in modern times there are actually no limitations of being British. You could become for a day.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Look, integrating is one thing.

Giving power to a person with a foreign background (very possibly only because of political-correctness) is a completely other thing.

I haven't seen much of this Javid guy just because he came relatively soon (although I already have high reservations toward him), but Sadiq Khan has proven to be unreliable and actually destructive in some way to the people of London and UK.
He's not suitable for this position. Definitely!

And I don't see another reason for him to be there, just by this argument that we need more politically-correct people in office (as the demographics is obviously rapidly changing).

But giving so much power just because of political-correctness is VERY wrong at its core.

And by saying all this, I'm still not saying that idiots and traitors like Corbyn (who are supposedly very British; this is actually debatable) are a better option.

You are barking up the wrong tree with Sajid Javid. He is not 'politically correct' at all. He has been criticised by the left and Human Rights organisation for calling out Pakistani rape gangs as 'sick'. He wants those convicted, where possible, to be stripped of British nationality and deported. He is also opposed to mass immigation and wants more immigration control.

He is nothing like Sadiq Khan or Corbyn. I agree with you about them

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
If you say that they must be elected that is racist? :))
No, you misunderstand.
The claim that two politicians are not British (when they definitely are) and therefore not to be trusted comes across as racist.
What is it that makes them non British? Is it their colour, their faith, their ethnicity?
Because all of the above is covered by the concept of British nationality.

I was not born in the UK. Don't I have the right to become your PM?
You have the right to stand for election as an MP if you are over 18, a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen and submit a £500 deposit.

I don’t think anyone has the right to become PM but you certainly have the right to try.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
You are barking up the wrong tree with Sajid Javid. He is not 'politically correct' at all. He has been criticised by the left and Human Rights organisation for calling out Pakistani rape gangs as 'sick'. He wants those convicted, where possible, to be stripped of British nationality and deported. He is also opposed to mass immigation and wants more immigration control.

He is nothing like Sadiq Khan or Corbyn. I agree with you about them
Since genetic is off limit here, we can talk about cultural and national backgrounds here.
Sajid Javid has a Pakistani background; this doesn't mean he will help people with similar backgrounds.
I have heard of cases where people treat their "fellow people" worse so they can be considered "fair" or "just".
"The left" has a poor connotation today; it can mean unquestioned, unconditional, or even improper kindness or sympathy towards all.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
How, pray tell, has Sadiq Khan proved to be unreliable? Concrete examples with articles to beack it up.

Because it's amazing howpeople draw a conclusion based on someone's perceived background.

Hell, the last Mayor of London had a Turkish grandfather. And the one before that was a radical left winger eith anti-Semitic credentials.

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
How, pray tell, has Sadiq Khan proved to be unreliable? Concrete examples with articles to beack it up.

Because it's amazing howpeople draw a conclusion based on someone's perceived background.

Hell, the last Mayor of London had a Turkish grandfather. And the one before that was a radical left winger eith anti-Semitic credentials.
First of all, if he's a radical left-winger that makes him anti-Semitic by default. :)

You don't understand the nature of people and Politics well.

I have drawn a conclusion based on evident facts, not because of his background. This evident facts that I don't necessarily want to share with you.

And I don't consider articles on Internet to be a reliable source. I'm from the old generation. I don't like to google or learn from google.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
First of all, if he's a radical left-winger that makes him anti-Semitic by default. :)

You don't understand the nature of people and Politics well.
If you believe that Khan is radical and that all left wingers are anti semites then the same could definitely be said of you.

Khan is considered a soft/centrist left winger by the rank and file of the Labour party.

Similar History Discussions