Is the UK a ghost of its former glory?

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
If you could roll the dice to live in the UK today or by magic end up as a random person in Victorian Britain at the height of its glory, would you do it?
If I could be guaranteed gtreat wealth and lifelong perfect health (and perfect teeth) I might consider it for a while, but probably decline.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
If I could be guaranteed gtreat wealth and lifelong perfect health (and perfect teeth) I might consider it for a while, but probably decline.
No guarantees. Based on the distribution your chances of being lowly are much better than being a lord with bad teeth.:confused:

Oct 2015
California

Well you don't get to be someone like Lord Greystoke based on statistics anway:

greystoke.jpg

More likely this lot:

greystoke2.jpg

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If you could roll the dice to live in the UK today or by magic end up as a random person in Victorian Britain at the height of its glory, would you do it?
Depends. Can I be a consulting detective?

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
China already overtook the US in total PPP GDP about five years ago and will overtake the US in total nominal GDP around 2027.
There has to be the assumption that China will not experience a financial-economic meltdown in the foreseeable future. Their banking system is beyond shaky, and China is not immune from 2008-2009 crises.

Member royal744 mentions China's population as 3-4 times that of the US. The economy of the US is integrated with those of all of the Western Hemisphere, all of western Europe and much of Asia. Those populations and their resources are substantially in excess of China. Also, regardless of China's population, she still has 1,000,000,000 paupers.

Reactions: Futurist

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
There has to be the assumption that China will not experience a financial-economic meltdown in the foreseeable future. Their banking system is beyond shaky, and China is not immune from 2008-2009 crises.

Member royal744 mentions China's population as 3-4 times that of the US. The economy of the US is integrated with those of all of the Western Hemisphere, all of western Europe and much of Asia. Those populations and their resources are substantially in excess of China. Also, regardless of China's population, she still has 1,000,000,000 paupers.
This is still less than 10% of the population, and the GDP per capita (nominal) was $869 in 1999.
We all know that the nominal growth is about more than 10X, which is fairly impressive in 20 years.