Is the UK a ghost of its former glory?

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
the Cowra breakout was made possible by the Aussie guards ( second rate militia ) firing warning shots and waiting too long to open fire
the newly installed Lewis were too close to the perimeter
less than half of Japanese POW made it out of the camp
one hundred yards more and a harsher attitude would have seen the escape fail

today Cowra boast of a very fine Japanese public garden , which I had the great pleasure to stroll through
Cowra Japanese Garden and Cultural Centre

The guards, while not front line troops, were mostly veterans of WWI, and while Pte. Hardy was not a WWI veteran he was acknowledged as being proficient on the Vickers machine gun (note: not Lewis gun) and while there is some suggestion that the gun was badly sited, the gun was still overwhelmed by around 200 men who were unarmed apart from knives and clubs and had to climb over two 8ft barbed wire fences to get to it. One thousand armed troops would have little trouble overwhelming a single machine gun on open ground.

Reactions: sparky
Sep 2019
United Kingdom
As an outsider I can say that this Brexit issue is very fuzzy. I talked a 3-4 senior British national whom I happened to meet during their visit to India. My question was simple: What is the advantage Britain will gain by leaving EU? They did say something but nothing that sounded convincing to me. One gentleman said that in EU, British people end up subsidizing other countries - which does not sound correct. [My silent counter question: Does germany do that?]

Unity & Strength:

The timeless wisdom is that in unity lies strength. By separating out, Britain can only become weaker. Gradually the remaining members of EU may even ignore it. This will negatively affect the future "glory".

Immigration & Culture:

Second is immigration. In immigration, high education & skill level of immigrants is important. Trump has / is attempting something on this this in USA. Thus immigration policy needs to be re-worked substantially or it will lead to cultural conflicts from which will arise political conflicts. On some of these immigration issues writing on the wall is clear. The policy requires qualitative change, or else this too will affect future "glory".

To answer on whether the British people end up subsidizing other countries it is completely true this is how the European Union works. The BBC published these documents in May 2019, it shows how much each country puts in and which countries receive financial help from the EU budget, so in effect the UK is subsidizing other countries, the documents are from the 2017 European budget the link is here: EU budget: Who pays most in and who gets most back? By leaving the EU we gain back our own laws, our borders and our sovereignty. One of the biggest issues for the UK is not immigration as such, of course every country needs immigrants to thrive. However, it is the freedom of movement that the leaders of the EU introduced and we had to accept more immigrants than the UK is capable of supporting comfortably, already our Health service, schools, housing etc is severely at bursting point and is not running effectively and in a lot of areas is completely failing, we simply do not have the hospitals, doctors, nurses, teachers, schools, houses to accommodate everyone. Our homeless situation has greatly increased and our streets are now filling up with homeless people by the thousands. A lot of the immigrants and EU nationals can't find work or do not want to work, or say they cannot find work because of their religion therefore they are drawing benefits to live instead of contributing to the UK. I have lived and worked overseas for many years in my life and I have never drawn benefits in a country or has a country I have been living and working in had to provide housing or benefits for me. Why should the UK have to do that. Our crime rate is out of control and especially in London there are gang related crimes between European and UK gangs, the knife crime is out of control. Our fishing rights have been limited, our farmers are governed by the EU and production has been reduced therefore the farmers are selling off the land to private housing companies to build more houses on farm land, which in turn means we have even less help for hospitals, doctors, schools. It is getting a vicious circle.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
To answer on whether the British people end up subsidizing other countries it is completely true this is how the European Union works. The BBC published these documents in May 2019, it shows how much each country puts in and which countries receive financial help from the EU budget, so in effect the UK is subsidizing other countries, the documents are from the 2017 European budget the link is here: EU budget: Who pays most in and who gets most back? By leaving the EU we gain back our own laws, our borders and our sovereignty. One of the biggest issues for the UK is not immigration as such, of course every country needs immigrants to thrive. However, it is the freedom of movement that the leaders of the EU introduced and we had to accept more immigrants than the UK is capable of supporting comfortably, already our Health service, schools, housing etc is severely at bursting point and is not running effectively and in a lot of areas is completely failing, we simply do not have the hospitals, doctors, nurses, teachers, schools, houses to accommodate everyone. Our homeless situation has greatly increased and our streets are now filling up with homeless people by the thousands. A lot of the immigrants and EU nationals can't find work or do not want to work, or say they cannot find work because of their religion therefore they are drawing benefits to live instead of contributing to the UK. I have lived and worked overseas for many years in my life and I have never drawn benefits in a country or has a country I have been living and working in had to provide housing or benefits for me. Why should the UK have to do that. Our crime rate is out of control and especially in London there are gang related crimes between European and UK gangs, the knife crime is out of control. Our fishing rights have been limited, our farmers are governed by the EU and production has been reduced therefore the farmers are selling off the land to private housing companies to build more houses on farm land, which in turn means we have even less help for hospitals, doctors, schools. It is getting a vicious circle.
This is a history forum, and not the place to discuss this.