Is there an extensive lost history of ancient Africa?

Jun 2013
canada
Great thread, I think the key to ancient Africa's secrets is hidden in the Sahara. Once a lush and green place, it could have easily sustained an empire(s). Even in the medieval age, resilient Berbers built towns and cities in the inhospitable desert. Just goes to show you how resilient people are. Who knows what else is hidden under the desert.

Mar 2012
This is why I always say the Green Sahara should be studied, because there are many similarities between various African people and the Nilotic Cultures like The Nubians and Egyptians..small stuff but still similar..for example House styles.

And you have places like Dar Tilchtt being settled almost on par with the founding of Egypt.

Dar Tilctt represents the oldest settlement in West Africa..

With its hundreds of settlements, the Tichitt Tradition is the earliest known urban-based core zone in the Western Sudan world-system. In the words of one archaeologist, its abandoned sites represent “a great wealth of rather spectacular prehistoric ruins” and “perhaps the most remarkable group of Neolithic settlements in the world”
The Settlement of Oulata dates to 4000yBP. Notice that this is the same time that folks from Nabta Playa were settling in the Nile Valley..

Some New Pics of Walata

Notice the Similarities between these and those found in the Nile Vally like Nubian and Egyptian Houses...

Some of the Designs..(Notice the Similarities between these and Designs from the Nile Valley like Egypt and Nubia..)

Yeah, and thanks for befriending me.

My bottom line is that I love African history and believe that there is almost certainly a great deal more to be dug out of the earth. I only recently learned that the ancestors of West Africans actually come from Chad- if it indeed used to be a much greener place, imagine the civilizations that might lay under the sand.

I am not ever really so far off of you guys in terms of Egypt to be honest, but lets not even get into that one. Lets make these thread to stay open from now on.

Clemmie

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Florida
Great thread, I think the key to ancient Africa's secrets is hidden in the Sahara. Once a lush and green place, it could have easily sustained an empire(s). Even in the medieval age, resilient Berbers built towns and cities in the inhospitable desert. Just goes to show you how resilient people are. Who knows what else is hidden under the desert.
Does anyone know if there has been an aerial survey of the region? That would be a great place to start. Easier to spot sites from the air than from the ground.

Mar 2012
Well the earliest Kingdom in Chad known to historical records is Kanem, not much is known about them but they were a powerful Kingdom.

I mean, if the Egyptians were aware of a kingdom in Chad known as Yam, we can olnly imagine its scope and importance. Asante is always saying that various peoples like the Dogon and Hausa-Fulani have connections to East Africa- how ancient is Yam and might that not have been an avenue?

Mar 2012
No, but many intersting things have been found, from the "African Stonehenge" the various star Calendars from Nabta Playa to the oldest Mummy Iah Maggiag..

a Good Study...

This show the peopling of the Sahara during the Holocene period (Green Sahara).

It is from this study:
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/2/458.full.pdf

Does anyone know if there has been an aerial survey of the region? That would be a great place to start. Easier to spot sites from the air than from the ground.

Jun 2013
Universe
Jari how old are these houses of Walata?

^^^Do you know the date? They seem more modern compared to the other ones I've seen that are in ruins.

Mar 2012
The Houses in Walata are repaired similar to the Mud Mosques in Timbucktu, so dating is probably impossible, we do know that stone masonry in the very same Area dates to 4000ybp.

Jari how old are these houses of Walata?

^^^Do you know the date? They seem more modern compared to the other ones I've seen that are in ruins.

Jun 2013
Universe
The Houses in Walata are repaired similar to the Mud Mosques in Timbucktu, so dating is probably impossible, we do know that stone masonry in the very same Area dates to 4000ybp.

Oh...Gotcha.

Make sure to check out one of my threads on ES. Its basically a continuation of your thread about Africans and the Indian ocean.

May 2013
SOMEWHERE
Their is a earlier civilization in chad/cameroon called the sao,but not much is known about them.

Last edited: