Is there impressive monumental architecture from the ancient world yet to be found?

cachibatches

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Curious as to what some of y'all think.

You can find dozens upon dozens of silly claims on the internet for pyramids that are actually just hills in places like Bosnia, Spain, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, and Niger, and any number of stories about alleged discoveries on google earth that usually also turn out to be hills.

It seems that real discoveries are more modest in scope, such as this stone gate in Mexico.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/two-mayan-cities-found-mexican-jungle-180952481/

Many known places such as the Hanging Gardens of Bablylon and the Tomb of Lars Porsena have never been discovered, but that might indicate that they were destroyed or never existed in the first place.

Some questions:

Have all of the really big discoveries been made, or are there more out there under hills, covered in desert sands, hidden by jungles, perhaps even underwater?

If there is more out there, how much is there to find?

Can anyone name some recent big discoveries which give us hope that there is more to be found?

What areas would you expect to be fertile hundting ground? What civilizations?

I will give some of my opinions on the matter later, but I would like to read though some answers first.

Last edited:

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
New underground cities come to light in Cappadocia from time to time.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Curious as to what some of y'all think.

You can find dozens upon dozens of silly claims on the internet for pyramids that are actually just hills in places like Bosnia, Spain, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, and Niger, and any number of stories about alleged discoveries on google earth that usually also turn out to be hills.

It seems that real discoveries are more modest in scope, such as this stone gate in Mexico.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/two-mayan-cities-found-mexican-jungle-180952481/

Many known places such as the Hanging Gardens of Bablylon and the Tomb of Lars Porsena have never been discovered, but that might indicate that they were destroyed or never existed in the first place.

Some questions:

Have all of the really big discoveries been made, or are there more out there under hills, covered in desert sands, hidden by jungles, perhaps even underwater?

If there is more out there, how much is there to find?

Can anyone name some recent big discoveries which give us hope that there is more to be found?

What areas would you expect to be fertile hundting ground? What civilizations?

I will give some of my opinions on the matter later, but I would like to read though some answers first.

Central Asia's Lost Civilization | DiscoverMagazine.com

or

Sanxingdui (Chinese: 三星堆; pinyin: Sānxīngduī; literally: "three stars mound") is the name of an archaeological site and the previously unknown Bronze Age culture for which it is the type site. Sanxingdui is now believed to be the site of a major ancient Chinese city in what is now Sichuan, China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanxingdui

Sanxingdui bronze heads with gold foil masks

I also suspect something around the back of 'Hotan' the southern edge of the Tarim Basin

Hotan is that green Oasis , see this ^ 'pocket' to the south of it , a type of mini model of the Tarim Basin, water supply ( from a river that runs from two watersheds and meets in the middle, to drain in either an alluvial fan in the and or underground in canyons ? ) , sheltered , hidden, access to the silk route .

Zoom in on google earth ! all sorts of weird stuff down there , concrete bunkers, prison camp, workers accommodation ... all of the above ??? (check out the 'black hole' in the middle ! ) ... Kashidashixiang ? or something like that .

Last edited:

Guaporense

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Brazil
Considering only 70% of Pompeii and 25% of Herculaneum has been dug there is plenty of stuff to find in these two places only.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The northern Persian Gulf was dry land 9000 years ago. Pretty early for anything spectacular, but who knows what's under the sandy bottom?

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Considering only 70% of Pompeii and 25% of Herculaneum has been dug there is plenty of stuff to find in these two places only.
I think the OP is asking about MONUMENTAL architecture, and he does mean really big because he regards that gate in Mexico (his picture) as "modest".

Dec 2017
Belgique
If Senncherib's canal system and the already monumental REMAINS of its main aqueduct don't qualify, what does ?
This network was discovered when military satellite surveillance images from the 60's and 70's were declassified. If that's an indication of trend, there are decades' worth of progress in imaging technology kept under wraps because of military secrecy. Who knows what's lurking there ?

Jan 2015
England
Solomon’s palace complex and temple. The pertinent area is unfortunately rather ‘out of bounds’ at the moment in terms of excavation.