Is there such a thing as collective, national guilt?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
@Tulius

My friend. You are a couple weeks early for April fools day.

(greatest as in best, not size. We both know you knew that. lmao)
Sorry, I thought that it could be interpreted both ways. Even so, in any “greatest” ranking, I think that the USA are in a better position in the biggest ranking, since they are the 3rd. In my opinion, just staking in America, Canada is greatest both in size and in other aspects. But this is a question of personal opinion and some statistics see for instance the quality of life index.

I think this satire is funny:

Well, maybe it is not a satire.

Sorry about the word confusion. But I had to Google the meaning of "Imao". Found it here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/def.../www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=imao, in a urban dictionary about slang.

I think Tullius can be forgiven as his first language is not English. He just thought "greatest" meant "largest".
I thought it could be interpreted both ways. At least in other languages can.

Dec 2011
I thought it could be interpreted both ways. At least in other languages can.
Well the word "great" CAN mean "large" (and the term "Great Britain", when it was coined 300 years ago, when Scotland was added to England and Wales, mainly meant "Greater (ie bigger) Britain". But in the context of countries today, "great" rarely refers to size; when Trump said "Make America great again" he didn't mean make it bigger, he meant make it better.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Where the USA is higher?

Quality of Life Index by Country 2019

Unless this is a bad source. I don't look into all this empirical data.
I don’t know that site but, as Fascinating already mentioned, according to your quoted source the USA is in the 13th position, while in size is in the 3rd. Denmark is the greatest there. And Australia and many European countries seem also great there. If you want to prove a position in a rank, maybe is better to stick with the ranking size.

Anyway, I really consider that the USA is a great country in some aspects. And the greatest in a few: It is the greatest military power in the planet, and that means something. It is the greatest economy, the greatest producer of movies and series (more in the sense of better, since eventually is not the biggest), probably also the greatest producer of content in the internet and in the video game industry (even if sometimes I don’t know if that is a positive issue).

Jan 2016
Ohio
The link wasn't to prove the best, it was to prove we were better than Canada. Haha

My OPINION is America is the greatest. No place I would rather be. Im quite content. Your opinion is whatever you want it to be. I couldn't care.

We also have the 3rd largest population.. that must account for something. Hahaha

Very serious question. Why are we the #1 country for immigration? Why aren't they all going to the nordic countries? Where life is "better"

Dec 2011
Serious answer - it's about size and location, as well as standard of living (which of course is really high in USA). USA is about 20 times the size of Sweden. It has a land border with a markedly poorer group of countries, whereas in Europe there is the Mediterranean Sea which many die in the attempt to cross. Even so Sweden has accepted nearly 2 million immigrnats, which is a higer proportion of the population than that of USA.

I see you don't put forward any evidence to support your opinion that America is the greatest. I am not criticising any aspect of the USA at all - I think it is a great country, and it has plainly got a lot of thngs right if so many want to go there. I believe that many people in many other nations think the same about their own country, that it is the greatest.

Similar History Discussions