Is this defenitive proof against OOA II theory?

Jan 2014
Portugal
Earliest modern human found outside Africa

As we all learned, Out of Africa II (the theory that modern humans are originary from Africa and then spread) is the current acepted theory.
Recent findings in the Balkans, and new theories are challeging it.

Can this change the all view about early human origins?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I read about an earlier modern human migration from Africa in the article. it seems it was a period of interbreeding between humans and neanderthals.

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
We should always remain open. I have always kind of found it a bit difficult to contemplate Africans morphing over time into Chinese, Japanese, Turks, Mongols, SEA people, even Indo-Europeans.

I am kind of more inclined toward some kind of simultaneous multiple origins kind of theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: macon

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix

As we all learned, Out of Africa II (the theory that modern humans are originary from Africa and then spread) is the current acepted theory.

Is it challenging it?

For the moment, it seems that they were in Europe earlier than we thought. For the moment, it doesn't necessarily mean that being earlier means it's no longer "out of Africa".

Reactions: David Vagamundo

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
That datation would also help to explain how humans reached Australia 65,000 years ago [archaeology suggests this today]. I do think we have to predate the migration of humans from Africa.

Mar 2019
Kansas

I dont see anything overturning the out of Africa theory anytime soon. The only thing that realistically is going to change is the timing of the migrations.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I dont see anything overturning the out of Africa theory anytime soon. The only thing that realistically is going to change is the timing of the migrations.
If the work of the chemists to identify Neanderthal genes stands on its own--and that is an "if" in my mind since I am ignorant of how the chemists claim it--and we accept that modern humans carry Neanderthal DNA (first adapted outside of Africa) then the whole OOA discussion has been anachronistic as a matter of phylogeny (classification of living things) for a long time.

Mar 2019
Kansas
If the work of the chemists to identify Neanderthal genes stands on its own--and that is an "if" in my mind since I am ignorant of how the chemists claim it--and we accept that modern humans carry Neanderthal DNA (first adapted outside of Africa) then the whole OOA discussion has been anachronistic as a matter of phylogeny (classification of living things) for a long time.
Agreed, and maybe a reclassification may occur to cover these variants. However the core theory still stands because we need to explain how humans got into a position to have booty calls with Neanderthals in the first place ;)

Reactions: Kotromanic

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Agreed, and maybe a reclassification may occur to cover these variants. However the core theory still stands because we need to explain how humans got into a position to have booty calls with Neanderthals in the first place ;)
If anatomically modern Homo Sapiens really did have a non matching chromosome set as has been the prevailing view (right?), then we are left with the conclusion that the hybrids who passed on the gene were all females, right?

And if that is the case, then the modern humans almost had to have raised these children to have the genes present so widely in West Asians and Europeans?

So, the level of social responsibility in the 40 000s BCE was (thankfully) much greater than that of the present day booty call?