Is this the lost city ???

Jun 2019
Nottingham
Hi all,

I am brand new to this and have been studying history at GCSE and plan to do it next year for A level. Instad of revising for my GCSE's I've found myself looking at the lost city of Atlantis as I hope to study it for my personal study, next year. Enough about me this is what I have so far if anyone has any thoughts or knows of anything that will help me please send it me . I feel its a solid start so lets have a look:

So my first port of call was having a general idea of what the city looked like and despite struggling to find Plato's actual description (Please send me a link or a screenshot if you can find it) I got the general idea it was two rings of land around a centre with 3 rings of water in between them. Thanks to Google images : 1560112372200.png

My next bit of research was a map and while many (again sourced from google images) didn't hold a location or anything surrounding it, a map from Herodotus(The father of History) that, after a bit of deciphering, I worked out that he located the city in the North West of Africa:1560112688215.png

So I know knew a general possible location and a rough idea of how the city looked, I didn't think this was enough to go off as looking for a weird ringed lake in Africa would've been too vague. So I thought about the creation and who ruled. I found that Poseidon made the city but more interestingly his son Atlas was supposed to have ruled:1560112960863.png

I Googled King Atlas and the results refined my search massively:1560113110256.png

So I took to google earth as I noticed 'Mauretania' was incredibly similar to Mauritania the country in NORTH WEST Africa. Coincidence ? I really hope not. I went to google earth and my discoveries in Mauritania were incredible.

I zoomed in as I saw a circular structure however as I got closer I noticed something a bit better than my circular structure:1560113532316.png

So I zoomed in even futher: 1560113607170.png

I though this discovery was incredible and manage to convince myself and friends that this was it ! So have I discovered the lost city of Atlantis ? :1560113661754.png

I would just like everyone's comments on this discovery as a believe this sight, if other's believe the same as me, should be excavated.

There are many issues with my hypothesis as it is miles in land and Atlantis was near the sea, however I am not sure where the sea was during the time of Plato's description and again any knowledge is gravely appreciated.

Any input is massively appreciated and I thank you for taking your time for reading this :)

Attachments

Jun 2019
Nottingham
Most people consider Atlantis an allegory, not a real city.
I am aware of this, however I find my discoveries very similar and as I am only 16 my imagination is still quite vivid. While it probably wasn't real suggested from the minute amount of evidence; it's a fun idea to play around with :)

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I am aware of this, however I find my discoveries very similar and as I am only 16 my imagination is still quite vivid. While it probably wasn't real suggested from the minute amount of evidence; it's a fun idea to play around with :)
There are a number of "lost cities beneath the sea" throughout world mythology. My personal favourite is the lost city of Ys.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
That's the Richat Structure, the "Eye of Sahara".

The most credited hypothesis is that it's a collapsed volcanic structure.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Thanks a lot I couldn't find anything on it. I am shocked but also excited that it's already a theory maybe it should be excavated.

Also if its volcanic, maybe that could be the reason that the city supposedly disappeared over night.
If we want to follow a speculative path ... in the supposed age of Atlantis, according to archaeological research in the area, there was water around.

The volcanic hypothesis about its origin is connected with a very long erosion. But this is one of the hypotheses around. This said, I have to check if the Sahara internal sea was in the nearby in the age of Atlantis [I should find data about the altitude of the structure in relation with the prehistorical internal sea].

Jun 2019
Nottingham
This is all very interesting, please keep me up to date with any findings.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The real problem is that today scientific researches tend to put that "sea" well more far in the past. In Neolithic there were more rivers in the desert region of Sahara and the local climate was different, but to imagine a wide internal sea is not more a possibility. It's the period of the "Wet Sahara" [the "Neolithic Subpluvial" Neolithic Subpluvial - Wikipedia].