Is this the lost city ???

Jun 2019
Nottingham
If we want to follow a speculative path ... in the supposed age of Atlantis, according to archaeological research in the area, there was water around.

The volcanic hypothesis about its origin is connected with a very long erosion. But this is one of the hypotheses around. This said, I have to check if the Sahara internal sea was in the nearby in the age of Atlantis [I should find data about the altitude of the structure in relation with the prehistorical internal sea].

This is all very interesting, please keep me up to date with any findings.

Jun 2019
Nottingham
The real problem is that today scientific researches tend to put that "sea" well more far in the past. In Neolithic there were more rivers in the desert region of Sahara and the local climate was different, but to imagine a wide internal sea is not more a possibility. It's the period of the "Wet Sahara" [the "Neolithic Subpluvial" Neolithic Subpluvial - Wikipedia].
If we look at Herodotus' map, the sea is very close to Atlantis and the nile flows through the Sahara.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
If we look at Herodotus' map, the sea is very close to Atlantis and the nile flows through the Sahara.
Well, the Eye of the Sahara is in the area of the River Niger ... we should imagine a water way from there to Timbuktu [to give a geographical reference], in Mali. There is a wide flat desert between the modern city and the Eye.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
First, you need to know what the text actually says re Plato, the only source.

next you need to realise there is another side of it all ; the Donelley Atlantians - where all the other stuff on Atlantis comes from - post Victorian , Christian, occultists and theosophists . - Woo-woo !

Ignatius L. Donnelly - Wikipedia

Then , I'd get with some more credible research , the Cadiz finds look interestng ;

Lost city of Atlantis believed found off Spain

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
So I took to google earth as I noticed 'Mauretania' was incredibly similar to Mauritania the country in NORTH WEST Africa. Coincidence ? I really hope not. I went to google earth and my discoveries in Mauritania were incredible.
“Mauretania” is the Latin designation for the West part of the North of Africa, today’s, Morocco and West Algiers. It was the land of the “Mauri”, a Berber tribe.

The name of the country Mauritania has that origin. But it is not in the same place.

Goof luck with your research, but be careful with the quick net/Google researches it can lead you to strange paths.

Be careful also with that map from Herodotus. It is a modern interpretation and I have the idea that has some errors. Don’t take what you find in the net for granted or accurate. There is a lot of garbage out there.

By the way this should be in the speculative sub-forum.

EDIT:

Then , I'd get with some more credible research , the Cadiz finds look interestng ;

Lost city of Atlantis believed found off Spain
If some half-mythical city will be found near Cadiz, it will be probably Tartessos.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions