Is Tibetan Sky burial influenced by the Zoroastrian Sky burial ?

Jul 2014
world
In ancient and medieval TIbet Persia was known as the land of wealth and Tibetan nobility copied Persian clothes and drinking vessels. I wonder if they also copied the Zoroastrian way of sky burial.
I have posted some paintings of Tibetan empire period and we can clearly see Perian influence. What do you guys think?

Attachments

May 2009
Sky burial always seemed like something rooted in shamanism to me. Exposure of the dead, except they adapted it to their environment and beliefs. But you could be right. I don't know the ancient origins of sky burial.

Jul 2014
world
Sky burial always seemed like something rooted in shamanism to me. Exposure of the dead, except they adapted it to their environment and beliefs. But you could be right. I don't know the ancient origins of sky burial.
I used to think that too but I have doubts since I came to know even the generic TIbetan Snow lion is a direct copy from Persia.
I wonder what else did we copy.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Tibetan sky burial seems to have developed out of necessity ; cold hard earth that things dont decompose well in, a lack of wood for cremation and an easy method of excarnation , if you want to use the bones . It also considers the dead body as food to be dispersed and shared amongst nature . They dismember the body and place it on a rock on a hillside.

Zoroastrian sky burial seems to be done out of a desire not to pollute the earth, water or fire with a dead body, which s considered very impure . The body is not dismembered . It is laid on a stone platform or tower. The bones end up in a central ossuary pit .

Some postulate that necessity ( rocky ground, limited soil availability, limited wood supply, etc .) preceded the religious or environmental aspects perhaps because they both originally shared a similar area and that leads to further postulations about the extent or locations of Zoroastrian settlements .

Both Bon religion and Zoroastrianism share aspects of dualism and both have myths about an original homeland , in a mountainous region, that is beautiful and peaceful ; Shangri-la and Airyana Vaeja .

Some postulate that a large area of Zoroastrian settlement was close to Tibet

Aryan Homeland, Airyana Vaeja, Location. Aryans and Zoroastrianism.

The Pamirs ( the 'Roof of the Wold' ) are connected to the Tibetan Plateau

1556486825384.png

It does seem impassable , in parts , but there are ways through passes that link deeper lower altitude fertile valleys .

Similar History Discussions