Is US society more violent than Western Europe?

Status
Closed
Nov 2014
ph
Speaking broadly, is US society just more violent as a whole, compared to Western Europe, especially in things like murders, rape, and non political mass shootings? I mean both Western European countries and the US have bad arwas, but the bad areas in US cities are a lot more violent compared to their European counterparys? What causes US society to have a higher overall level of violence compared to Western European countries? Is the US basically the most violent society in this planet when adjusted to per capital GDP levels? Would banning guns help lower violent crime to Western European levels?

Nov 2014
ph
Why are American inner cities super dangerous compared to Europe?

Lol, you'll never get an honest answer on historum. Far too complex but more so the answer is too controversial. It involves discussing things that get individuals labeled as racists by the ignorant.
Are American Whites more violent than European Whites? Seems to be so even when controlling for race, are Scots Irish in the Appalachians and Ozark hillbillies more violent and crime prone than Protestant Northern Irish and Scots in the UK? Do Western European Whites have comparable rates of meth addiction? Or are rural southern and Montana white people just trashier in general than rural French and German white people? Do rural Austrians and Germans tend to act like the People of Walmart? I mean rural people from Arkansas and West Virginia just seem a lot more dysfunctional and Wilder than rural people from Britanny or Rhone valley.

Last edited:
Jul 2016
USA
Are American Whites more violent than European Whites? Seems to be so even when controlling for race, are Scots Irish in the Appalachians and Ozark hillbillies more violent and crime prone than Protestant Northern Irish and Scots in the UK? Do Western European Whites have comparable rates of meth addiction?
Crime is part culture, part socioeconomic group. Poor whites in rural and urban areas, living destitute lives one generation after another, whose behavior and lives are subsidized/paid for, leads to crime. Especially with plentiful access to booze, drugs, weapons, lifestyle promoting excess.

Some western Europeans generally have access to high quality pharmaceutical grade stimulants, and thus don't need to produce meth, which is the bathtub gin of stimulants. Others binge on meth. Others binge on other drugs. Ecstacy is huge in Europe too, as is heroin especially. Probably less than the US, but than again Mexico doesn't border Europe...

Jul 2016
USA
Would Mexico really serve as a supply point for drugs if America didn't offer a market?
Sure. But as a nation Mexico is completely corrupt, entire regions essentially controlled by cartels, with a gigantic production and smuggling operation, and a porous border, makes the demand far easier to supply than most EU countries, who have to rely on smaller and less secure Mediterranean and Eastern European smuggling routes for some sorts of drugs, while others are exceedingly easy to get.

I think for sake of honesty, the EU utopia concept can be dropped. Violent crime, drug addiction are all rampant in most EU countries whose cities are nearly as bad as most US cities. Junkies everywhere. Theft everywhere. Muggings. Rapes. Murders. Some worse than others.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Speaking broadly, is US society just more violent as a whole, compared to Western Europe, especially in things like murders, rape, and non political mass shootings? I mean both Western European countries and the US have bad arwas, but the bad areas in US cities are a lot more violent compared to their European counterparys? What causes US society to have a higher overall level of violence compared to Western European countries.
My impression is not that the USA society is more violent, rather that the amount of guns in circulation leads to violence often having more fatal consequences than in other Western societies.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Why are American inner cities super dangerous compared to Europe?

Lol, you'll never get an honest answer on historum. Far too complex but more so the answer is too controversial. It involves discussing things that get individuals labeled as racists by the ignorant.

Horse puckies.

Not all of our members are that insecure and even fewer are that ignorant. If you have something to say, say it, rather than copping out by using what 'some people' might say as an excuse..

The moderation of this site is about the best I've seen. If a post is labeled racist, then it is usually is racist.

My gut feeling is that America is indeed a violent place. I make that judgment on raw stats on gun deaths together with America's loopy gun culture.The US currently has more guns than there are people in private hands. .Civilians with guns scare the crap out of me,. Far too many are far too stupid to be allowed near firearms. Here we have very tight gun laws. The level of gun deaths in Australia very low.

However, I have only felt unsafe in the US when in New York.. That's also the only place I've felt unwelcome; some dickhead official at the airport
who thought everyone is just dying to live in the US

I'm unconvinced that the question of violence is all that complex. A range of stats available provide a fair guide. What stats do NOT provide is meaningful data about race and violence .THAT is too complex a question, I think for most here .The obvious common error is to conflate correlation and causation.

MEANTIME, IN AUSTRALIA:

Most gun deaths are suicides.
Gun violence in Australia is rare, but when it does occur it is most often a suicide.
In 2016, the last year for which data is available, 238 people were killed by guns in Australia, compared with 38,658 for the same year in the United States.

Of those deaths in Australia, 183, or more than 75 percent, were the result of suicides.
People living in rural areas kill themselves at twice the average rate of those in cities, and farmers are particularly at risk, experts said.

The Truth About Mass Shootings in Australia: The Father Usually Did It

Status
Closed