Is your Culture Logical?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
All kinds of unstated assumptions in that question! What does it mean to 'prove' something? Can the most important things be 'proved' anyhow?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I've never heard of "logic" be applied to a culture. A culture is a human dynamic: its language, traditions, social interactions, arts, religion and view of the world. About the only thing you might say about the "logic" of a culture is it tends to preserve itself. This usually involves some level of common sense but it's not formal deductive or inductive logic.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
Is a culture based on logic alone logical? Isn't it true that to be a human in a natural setting logically requires some illogical behaviours? Sometimes the answer doesn't matter. Only the right question.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
What if I think that it is logical to murder my opponents? After all, it might well be.

In 1502 Cesare Borgia sent one of his deputies to intimidate the people of an area by random cruelty and mass slaughter; and he then had this man killed, had his body sliced in two, and exposed in the central square of the main city; for the intimadation had performed its function, and Borgia thought it politic to cast the immediate blame for the horrors on the man who had immediately committed them. As an act of logic, that is hard to beat, he would win the favour of the foolish by punishing the perpetrator, and the wise would be all the more scared of a man who could treat his own follower like that. Machiavelli was much impressed by this cold-blooded logic and thought that this was "an example that desrves close study and imitation by others". The policies of the totalitarian regimes of the last century were based on relentless logic, if you want to achieve this, as an absolute demand in accordance with your ideology, you have to do this whatever the cost. After all, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, as is logically stated in a saying that is logically siad to have been quoted approvingly by both Robespierre and Lenin. Such is the happy world in which people abndon inherited semi-wisdom and confused traditions to make the world anew on the basis of pure logic.