Is Youtube a viable option for teaching History?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I have watched quite a few history lessons on YouTube. Of course, the source has to be considered. Moreover, given that today's youth use YouTube regularly, it is certainly a viable - if not a preferred - vehicle for the transmission of history lessons.

Nov 2013
Texas
Teach history on youtube

I''d say yes

Teaching is more of a function than a vocation; so I think teaching history as a function or hobby via youtube might be better than teaching it professionally or as part of a conformist institute (which,it seems, is already too research oriented).

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I''d say yes

Teaching is more of a function than a vocation; so I think teaching history as a function or hobby via youtube might be better than teaching it professionally or as part of a conformist institute (which,it seems, is already too research oriented).
I think some use of youtube is ok, but not exclusively. Part of teaching history should include examining sources, and determining how we know what we know about historu. Analysing sources is much harder with youtube than a well written book, and it is easier for a youtuber just to repeat popular but false myths (like Columbus having to convince people the earth was round), and get away with it.

Youtube is much better at giving an good overview, of how history ties together, than reading a dull history book. But it is much harder for someone to check the claims of what is said in the youtube than in a good book that has proper references. Of course, if all you want to do is give people a sense of history so they have perspective, and not concerned about the accuracy so much, youtube may be all you need.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
Yes, but check what appears in the recommended sidebar (view it outside of your own account to be sure), it takes surprisingly few leaps from legitimate videos to end up in some very unsettling territory on YouTube sometimes.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Youtube put the art of teaching back in the 19th century with 21th century technology. A magistral, expositive, unidirectional (mostly, comments and chat can modify this a little, just a little) lesson which the source of knowledge provide to the consumer (not just student, but in this case consumer).

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Youtube put the art of teaching back in the 19th century with 21th century technology. A magistral, expositive, unidirectional (mostly, comments and chat can modify this a little, just a little) lesson which the source of knowledge provide to the consumer (not just student, but in this case consumer).
Fully agree.

Some decades ago, in Portugal, we had the TV School. Exactly what you mean: magistral, expositive, unidirectional. But at least the content was usually quite correct, that isn’t the case in YouTube, and generally speaking in the net.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Youtube is essentially unmoderated. The Quality is extremely variable. I'm a big watcher of you tube videos and I have found many very interesting and informative videos.

I think tendency for short videos that often reduce things to over simplification. the Devil is in the detail.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Youtube is essentially unmoderated. The Quality is extremely variable. I'm a big watcher of you tube videos and I have found many very interesting and informative videos.

I think tendency for short videos that often reduce things to over simplification. the Devil is in the detail.
Students over their life are going to see a lot of unmoderated sources on their own. Perhaps a valuable training in history class is to teach students how to evaluate these unmoderated sources on their own.

And sometimes simplification can be a good thing. Real history can be very complex, and sometimes it is important to bolil down things to their essentials. The big picture can get lost in the details. While it may oversimplify things, the Civil War really was about slavery at it's root. Keep in mind, that most students will neither have the energy or time to delve into l.the details, and it is better to give them a simplified big picture history of events than none at all.