Is Youtube a viable option for teaching History?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Students over their life are going to see a lot of unmoderated sources on their own. Perhaps a valuable training in history class is to teach students how to evaluate these unmoderated sources on their own.
That is the fundamental point in the teaching of history. Much more than teaching sequences of events.

And sometimes simplification can be a good thing.
Synthesis is necessary in any discipline, but I think most of the videos on YouTube about most of the themes are like those books “history for dummies”.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Synthesis is necessary in any discipline, but I think most of the videos on YouTube about most of the themes are like those books “history for dummies”.
Agree, 99% of Youtube vids are just resuming the Wikipedia and adding some pictures.

There exists very few really valuable channels, I follow this one about WWI, because the author put a HUGE effort on the videos and he's well lectured on the subject

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
To get anything valuable off U-Tube videos it helps if you already have a reasonable understanding of the subject to start with, and nose for spotting any underlying agendas.

Similar History Discussions