Is Zahi Hawass good for Egyptian Archaeology?

Charlie Bravo

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
New Orleans
I rather enjoy Dr. Hawass. However I would be sure to relieve myself before exploring any monuments with him. Apparently he becomes quite upset when one has an "accident" within an archeological site.

Apr 2010
I like all those cable history shows. Where are all the distinguished English Egyptologists discussing their findings in a clipped British acccent as they explore the ancient sites of Egypt?

All we see now is Hawass jabbering and scrambling around sites barking out orders.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I rather enjoy Dr. Hawass. However I would be sure to relieve myself before exploring any monuments with him. Apparently he becomes quite upset when one has an "accident" within an archeological site.
Spot on. Most people say the like a straight forward talking, matter of fact, large personality, take charge and stop the crap. But when that person is alive and not dead 200 years and they don't have to put up with them, they can't take it. People like a painted image, not the real deal.

Carlisle Blues

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
My understanding is that he is generally good for archeology. However, when I read this I have many reservations as his political views clearly are part and parcel to his scientific perspective.

"The head of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities said that "he gave the Zionist enemy a slap in the face," when he canceled the inauguration of a restored Cairo synagogue two weeks ago, Army Radio reported on Sunday. "Israel is the Zionist enemy, and I gave this enemy a strong slap in the face," said Doctor Zahi Hawass. Hawass, dubbed the "Egyptian Indiana Jones," is known worldwide as responsible for all the ancient sites in Egypt including the pyramids and the pharaohs' treasures. Throughout the years, Zahi Hawass has expressed his stance against normalization of ties with Israel, but has yet to refer to Israel as "the enemy."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/egypt-antiquities-chief-i-gave-the-zionist-enemy-a-slap-in-the-face-1.265426

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
My understanding is that he is generally good for archeology. However, when I read this I have many reservations as his political views clearly are part and parcel to his scientific perspective.
Seems Dr. Hawass has the same human foible as we all do for saying the wrong things at the wrong times.

Rasta

Ad Honoris
Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
I like Hawass. I think that it is pretty clear that his goal is perserving archeology and his rich cultural heritage.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I like Hawass. I think that it is pretty clear that his goal is perserving archeology and his rich cultural heritage.
That's exactly the point. I respect him as well for what he is doing for the artifacts of Ancient Egypt.

kbear

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
that's forsure!:D , i also get the impression from dr. hawass that he doesn't think much of women in "his" field. i may be wrong but i just get that vibe from him...

Apr 2010
Anyone have any info on what it takes to get a digging permit in Egypt-what Hawass' demands are? What about a filming permit?

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Anyone have any info on what it takes to get a digging permit in Egypt-what Hawass' demands are? What about a filming permit?
I heard on the radio today a man speaking about taking a film crew into Egypt and filming. Granted each project stands on its own merit on what it is attempting to prove or disprove, and naturally location and access to certain sites. The man said it cost $5K USD per hour to film and there were government sensors on site and ones who wanted to see part of the final tapes.

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
Ancient History
History Book Reviews