Is Zahi Hawass good for Egyptian Archaeology?

Labienus

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Montreal, Canada
I watched his reality show on history channel once. Well, he has an annoying personality and the show is awful.

However, I agree with tjadams that he is mainly beneficial to Egyptian archeology.

Aug 2010
Wales
I heard he was quite mad, certainly all the Egyptologists I have met and know (the non egyptian ones) seem to find him so. The true sort of eccentricity that straddles the tight rope of indecision between genius and total arse hat. That he might not be beneficial because of such foibles and notions that he may occassionaly throw about.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I'll admit that having as much power at his finger tips as he does, does seem to give him an untouchable swagger. Having so much power makes the air rarefied that he breathes as all, anywhere, with so much power, often display. They don't like anyone to think differently or challenge their thoughts.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Too much power, all the old adages come to mind.
This one is so true. I've been around principals that I would barely trust to heat up my food in a microwave, yet, they get to make large decisions involving me, the students and the school as a whole. If one brings up, or points out a decision they've so proudly made that is doomed to fail, that person could be almost assuredly looking for a job next year.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Makes ou wonder, is he good for the job.
I believe he is. He has held various posts and has been the focal point since 2002. He might make a lot of people unhappy as they were used to doing things in a shoddy manner: loose record keeping perhaps, easily obtained permits, concessions, etc. He tells people 'no' sometimes and no one likes being told 'no' when they are used to hearing 'yes'.

Jun 2010
Archuleta Mesa....till I come down.
Dr. Hawass is a brillant and domineering egotistical, nationalist, personage; whose interests for self agrandisement are equally coupled with his sincere belief and love of vocation and commitment....to preserving his nation's archaeological treasures and past.

Preferably in their best representation and presentation from an Egyptian perspective....He's perfect for the job.

After all would I want him conducting ops in Chaco Canyon or on plans-indian sub cultures or Apache maiden wedding rituals and associated artifacts...No.

Egypt...Yes.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Ancient History
History Book Reviews

Similar History Discussions