Islamic Paganism by Ex Zealous Muslim Turk.

Nov 2016
Germany
Islamic "paganism" was recently made a subject of discussion in some other threads, for example on goddess al-Uzza, whose vulva symbol, the Kaaba stone, also became a central Islamic symbol.

I wrote on that:

Al-Uzza was mainly a fertility goddess as was Sumerian Inanna, while Ishtar was additionally venerated as war goddess due to the Akkadian fusion of Inanna with a Semitic war goddess, the result of which was Ishtar. The fertility competence of Inanna and Ishtar implied of course sexual activity, so both of them were closey connected to cultic sex rituals, as was the "Sacred Marriage", a ritual marriage of the king with the goddess with the purpose of legitimating the king by the goddess´s power.

(...)

What remains from Al-Uzza is only her vulva symbol, the Kaaba stone:

Aug 2014
pakistan
What remains from Al-Uzza is only her vulva symbol, the Kaaba stone:

What you describe as vulva-shaped stone, is actually a silver frame, its not the black-stone. The silver frame was made in later times, its not preislamic. The fragments of broken black stones are placed inside it which do not look any thing like vulva ;

Nov 2016
Germany
What you describe as vulva-shaped stone, is actually a silver frame, its not the black-stone. The silver frame was made in later times, its not preislamic. The fragments of broken black stones are placed inside it which do not look any thing like vulva ;
Sorry for delay. I nowhere write that the stone is "vulva-shaped" but that the Kaaba stone is a "vulva symbol". As to the frame, it was added to the stone already in 683 (that is, not in "later times", as you say), when in a combat the stone was broken by catapulted missiles into three fragments. There can be no doubt that the vulva shape of the frame should additionally make visible (or explicite) the traditional psychological meaning of the black stone, which was in preislamic days a symbol of goddess al-Uzza (or goddess al-Lat, due to some secondary sources) expressing feminity, sexuality and motherhood, or in short: the vulva. Please note that other goddesses of the same category, Cybele and Artemis, were also venerated in the form of black stones. When Cybele was imported from Asia minor into the Roman Empire, a black stone which was her symbol in the temple of Pessinus was brought to Rome. As to Artemis, her temples often contained an aniconic black stone as symbol of the goddess. Both goddesses were also closely associated with vulva symbols.

In preislamic days it was custom to kiss the black stone of al-Uzza (or al-Lat). Muhammad retained this tradition and is said to have kissed the stone himself, what became the model for the ritual of kissing the Kaaba stone in Islamic tradition. There can be no doubt that the act of kissing corresponds to the sexual meaning of the stone, no matter it has a vulva-shaped frame or not.

Last edited:
Nov 2016
Germany
I should add that the Hebrew word ´kobah´, meaning ´hollow´, seems etymologically connected to ´kaaba´. ´Kobah´ mainly refers to ´vulva´ what is also shown by the ancient Greek translation of ´kobah´ by ´kaminos´ (literally: oven, heated chamber) what according to Herodot corresponds to the female genital. I know that ´kaaba´ is conventionally said to have the meaning of ´cube´, however, the exact Arabic word for ´cube´ is ´mukaeb´, not ´kaaba´. So it is open to discussion whether ´kaaba´ is closer to ´kobah´ or to ´mukaeb´.

Aug 2014
pakistan
Sorry for delay. I nowhere write that the stone is "vulva-shaped" but that the Kaaba stone is a "vulva symbol". As to the frame, it was added to the stone already in 683 (that is, not in "later times", as you say), when in a combat the stone was broken by catapulted missiles into three fragments. There can be no doubt that the vulva shape of the frame should additionally make visible (or explicite) the traditional psychological meaning of the black stone, which was in preislamic days a symbol of goddess al-Uzza (or goddess al-Lat, due to some secondary sources) expressing feminity, sexuality and motherhood, or in short: the vulva. Please note that other goddesses of the same category, Cybele and Artemis, were also venerated in the form of black stones. When Cybele was imported from Asia minor into the Roman Empire, a black stone which was her symbol in the temple of Pessinus was brought to Rome. As to Artemis, her temples often contained an aniconic black stone as symbol of the goddess. Both goddesses were also closely associated with vulva symbols.

In preislamic days it was custom to kiss the black stone of al-Uzza (or al-Lat). Muhammad retained this tradition and is said to have kissed the stone himself, what became the model for the ritual of kissing the Kaaba stone in Islamic tradition. There can be no doubt that the act of kissing corresponds to the sexual meaning of the stone, no matter it has a vulva-shaped frame or not.
I believe the black stone must have some to do with Sabeanism, a religion of southern Arabian Peninsula which worshiped the heavenly bodies (sun, moon and stars). The black stone was a meteor which was considered sacred as it had fell from heavens. According to hadiths there was also another Kaaba in Yemen (Dzul Kholasa) , which was destroyed by Muslims. Note that there is also another stone set in that corner of Kaaba (of Mecca) which faces Yemen. The rite of seven circuits around Kaaba had probably some thing to do with astronomy. Isaf and Naila, the two idols worshipped in Mecca, were said to have been the son and daughter of Dhib and Sohail i.e the constellations of the Wolf and Canopus. [Ref: Life of Mahomet, William Muir, p-ccxii]

Last edited:
Aug 2014
pakistan
I should add that the Hebrew word ´kobah´, meaning ´hollow´, seems etymologically connected to ´kaaba´. ´Kobah´ mainly refers to ´vulva´ what is also shown by the ancient Greek translation of ´kobah´ by ´kaminos´ (literally: oven, heated chamber) what according to Herodot corresponds to the female genital. I know that ´kaaba´ is conventionally said to have the meaning of ´cube´, however, the exact Arabic word for ´cube´ is ´mukaeb´, not ´kaaba´. So it is open to discussion whether ´kaaba´ is closer to ´kobah´ or to ´mukaeb´.
Kaaba does not mean cube. Kaaba is derived from root word Kaab which means protuberance. In Quran (5:6) the word Kaab is used for ankles. At another place in Quran the word Kawaib is used for breasts of houris , which is derived from same root word.

Explanation of Kaab and Kaaba in Lanes Lexicon ;http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/22_k/112_kEb.html

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions