Islands That Could Not be Invaded

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I'm talking about island nations or states that were at war with a power on a nearby mainland. The mainland power had a large army but no navy or at least not a large enough navy to invade the island. Examples would include Britain in 1805 and 1940, Taiwan in 1949, Japan vs the Mongols. Any others?

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
With its laser weaponry, nuclear power, and interdimensional travel, I don't think Atlantis could have been invaded.

Aug 2016
USA
Something related, in ww2 Crete was taken by Germany despite the Royal Navy's near complete naval dominance in the Mediterranean, due to the heavy use of airborne troops. Admittedly, the Germans took heavy losses of elite troops and this may be the only example of an island being taken without naval supremacy in history.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Crete and Malta are good examples. Thank you. I think the US could have put an army ashore on Cuba if we had wanted to. I'm not going to count the Soviet tactical nukes. I'm looking for land powers that just didn't put enough effort or resources into a navy, and the US had an excellent navy in 1962.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
But was easily invaded by the USA in the Spanish-American War due to catastrophic Spanish Army mis-management

Malta. Held off the Reich and Ottomans.
Malta was invaded by the Ottomans on day one. The siege of (what is now) Valetta was the epic struggle and Medina was never taken

Crete and Malta are good examples. Thank you. I think the US could have put an army ashore on Cuba if we had wanted to. I'm not going to count the Soviet tactical nukes. I'm looking for land powers that just didn't put enough effort or resources into a navy, and the US had an excellent navy in 1962.
Crete has been invaded by Ottomans and Germans, to name but modern ones!

Similar History Discussions