Islands That Could Not be Invaded

War of Sicilian Vespers 1282. Kingdom of SIciliy lost... Siciliy, and wasn't able to return it, partially because of lack of proper fleet to transfer an amy back there from Naples.
Also Genovese republic wasn't able to pacify rebellous Corsica (though more due to partisan actions on the island) and sold it to France in middle 1700s.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Crete and Malta are good examples. Thank you. I think the US could have put an army ashore on Cuba if we had wanted to. I'm not going to count the Soviet tactical nukes. I'm looking for land powers that just didn't put enough effort or resources into a navy, and the US had an excellent navy in 1962.
The US was never at war with Cuba, so it does not count. The US never tried invading Cuba. The CIA sponsored Bay or Pigs operation was not openly supported by the US government, and Kennedy refused to provide invaders air and naval support when US invovlement was known.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Japan , only way for US Japanese to force into surrender was nuking two cities in 1945.
Since the US occupied Japan after the war, I don't think it counts, in a sense the US did invade Japan after the war. The US was all set to invade Japan militily ifnit hadn't surrender, and nobody.thinks the Japanese could have beaten off an US invasion. An invasion would have been lot more bloody on all sides than dropping the atomic bombs, is all.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The US was never at war with Cuba, so it does not count. The US never tried invading Cuba. The CIA sponsored Bay or Pigs operation was not openly supported by the US government, and Kennedy refused to provide invaders air and naval support when US invovlement was known.
Oh. I completely overlooked the Bay of Pigs. I thought the reference was to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Still, I was looking for countries that had island enemies but overinvested in their armies and underinvested in their navies, so I don't think the US counts.

Mar 2018
UK
A bit of a stretch, but Syracuse?

An island just off the coast of Sicily (about 50m away, at least now). The Athenians landed troops on Sicily, but never got a beach head on the island of the city itself. The eventual defeat of the Athenian navy there led to their entire force being destroyed/captured.

Similar History Discussions