Islands That Could Not be Invaded

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
A bit of a stretch, but Syracuse?

An island just off the coast of Sicily (about 50m away, at least now). The Athenians landed troops on Sicily, but never got a beach head on the island of the city itself. The eventual defeat of the Athenian navy there led to their entire force being destroyed/captured.
Timoleon of Corinth managed it in 343BC.
Siege of Syracuse (343 BC) - Wikipedia

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
A bit of a stretch, but Syracuse?

An island just off the coast of Sicily (about 50m away, at least now). The Athenians landed troops on Sicily, but never got a beach head on the island of the city itself. The eventual defeat of the Athenian navy there led to their entire force being destroyed/captured.
Thanks for this because it reminded me of Alexander's Siege of Tyre, an offshore island that Alexander couldn't reach because he had no navy so he built a causeway from shore to the island. It almost worked, but he ended up building a navy anyway.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
*Australia is difficult to conquer due to its size and thinly populated interior.

* Australia is the world's largest island or the world's smallest continent, take your pick.

Mar 2017
Colorado
Would you consider Haiti?

It's very small, but is the site of the only fully successful slave revolution in the history of the world. Notice I said "fully successful".

The slaves horrendously outnumbered the owners (this is usually the case) but were alternately able to carry out guerilla warfare and retreats to inaccessible places, and just wore the French out.

The OP said "invaded"? The French on the island were quickly overpowered, so France sent boatloads of military to settle things ... and they left defeated. "Invasion" of French troops failed.

OK, I'm stretching it a bit, but a relatively unorganized, ill equipped, untrained group of sugar cane cutters defeated the experienced, organized, well equipped, highly trained French.

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
Australia , New Zealand , only time close to be invaded when Japanese landed on New Guinea in 1942 but then they were thrown back by Australians and US forces

Oct 2015
Singapore
I'm talking about island nations or states that were at war with a power on a nearby mainland. The mainland power had a large army but no navy or at least not a large enough navy to invade the island. Examples would include Britain in 1805 and 1940, Taiwan in 1949, Japan vs the Mongols. Any others?
As far as I know, Greenland was never occupied by the Germans during WWII.

Aug 2015
uk
Britain is probably the best example of an island holding out against a country (or countries) that hugely dominates the mainland, thanks to a small strip of water and strong navy and good coastal defences. Not only were the Germans repelled in WW2 as well as France in the Napoleonic wars, but also Spain and France throughout the last 1000 years or so.

Of course there are also times when we HAVE been invaded successfully such as by the Romans, Vikings and the Normans .

Similar History Discussions