Islands That Could Not be Invaded

Sep 2016
Georgia
Ah an irrelevant jibe dressed up as a “reminder”. Do we need to remind the French/Spanish/Russian posters about all their defeats? Even when completely irrelevant...

I’ll remember that in any French threads. Need to remind the French eh.

Or we can just admit it was just a bit of childish posturing ...,
You remind them all the time ! What bunch of hypocrites you are.

This is just laughable. Cry me a river. :crying::lol:

Feb 2016
Japan
What crying have I done? Quote me.
Where have I brought up irrelevant events... quote me.

If I’ve talked about French defeats ... it will have been pertinent to the topic at hand.

But yes. Your position is laughable though any tears I’ve shed are from laughter.

Sep 2016
Georgia
What crying have I done? Quote me.
Where have I brought up irrelevant events... quote me.
But yes. Your position is laughable though any tears I’ve shed are from laughter.
Calm down, little kid. Does it hurt you so much ? You don't even want to admit that you are crying because of that. Laughter is a defense mechanism for you, as I see. Don't worry, it's okay. :smirk:

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Vandal armies were not large, Cretan muslim armies could not be large. It all says more about the periodic incompetence of the Byzantines than anything else.
It might be more than just periodic; they failed to retake Crete a remarkable number of times despite the odds being stacked in their favour in just about every conceivable way. Haldon would probably ascribe it to imperial overconfidence.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
The pirates landed in Crete in the 820's and quickly seized the island. Surprisingly, they managed to stablish a formidable pirate Emirate that plundered the Byzantine Empire for good. Great cities like Thesalonika were ravaged, and all the Aegean Sea, and farther away, was subjected to their actions for long time.
Crete didn't stand in the way of the sack of Thessaloniki in 904, but that was carried out by Leo of Tripoli. However, it's certainly a fair point that the Emirate of Crete contributed to general insecurity in the Aegean area.

One after another, Byzantine expeditions miserably failed to conquer the island, until a huge invasion force (308 ships and 80,000 men according to Byzantine sources) led by Nicephoro Phokas destroyed the Emirate in 960-961
If we take Kaldellis' assumption that the 960 invasion was a margin larger than the 949 invasion (for which we have the muster lists in a particular form) then they probably had something like 25,000 men, of which ca. 10,000 were sailors. The literary sources all exaggerate the size of the invasion and it's well beyond the logistical capacities of the Byzantine state to put such numbers in the field. Theophanes Continuatus claims that Phokas' armada comprised two thousand liquid fire ships (νῆες... ὑγροῦ πυρὸς), a thousand dromons, and 307 supply ships (σιτήσεις ἔχοντα καὶ ὅπλα πολεμικὰ). The Vita of Athanasios of Athos mentions 250 "triremes", which is not very informative.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Calm down, little kid. Does it hurt you so much ? You don't even want to admit that you are crying because of that. Laughter is a defense mechanism for you, as I see. Don't worry, it's okay. :smirk:
You've been warned more than enough times.

You are hereby suspended for a week. Next time, I will not be so lenient.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
Crete and Malta are good examples.
From WWII, Malta is a good example.
Gibraltar would be another (though technically not an island)

Cyprus would be another, from both WWI and WWII. The Axis would have been thrilled to capture Cyprus, as would Turkey in WWI.

In WWII the British looked very seriously at the Canaries, but ultimately didn't go ahead.

Similar History Discussions