isn't psychiatry just the beliefs of professionals?

Apr 2016
Netherlands
what makes a person "mentally ill"? isn't it just a body of work that's moral/subjctive belief, not fact?

What makes "things" things in the first place? All definition is convention. Try to define something as simple as a chair. Does it need to have legs (than why isn't a table a chair?)? is it something to sit on (then why isnt it a couch?, why is the table not a chair?)?

Defining anything ultimately comes down to what someone "thinks" an object is. In that aspect all definition is subjective. What is a chair for one person does not need to be a chair for another.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
what makes a person "mentally ill"? isn't it just a body of work that's moral/subjctive belief, not fact?
?

Clinical psychology exists, you know ...

It's not about being "mentally ill" [this was the reality in 19th century!]. It's about having dysfunctional thoughts. Not with reference to a "normality" [?], but with reference to the existence of the individual.

Modern psychiatrists don't believe ... they apply techniques based on experimental observations [the problem existed for the patient who underwent the experimentation! But this happened in the past ...].

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Psychiatry is a medical profession and its purveyors are medical doctors. there are organic/physical/ material maladies that are treated by psychiatry. Usually behaviors or emotional manifestations accompany this. The latter area to me is more of a soft science.

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
As far as I am aware psychiatry has never cured a single patient who is suffering from a serious mental disorder. If you or anyone else can point me to a case of a paranoid schizophrenic or a psychopath who has been cured then I will happily withdraw from the debate. What I would say is that psychiatrists are pretty competent at diagnosing the nature of a mental disorder and prescribing drugs or therapy that can help control the condition, but as to a cure I am afraid they are a big fat fail. I believe, however, they are abnormally good at extracting big fat fees from wealthy clients who have conditions that are no different from the rest of us, but have the wherewithal to have their egos massaged under soft lighting, a comfortable couch and a sympathetic ear. I have been told, by an impeccable source, that prostitutes and psychiatrists have much in common. :D

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Insanity that needs medical treatment is a fact.

I am so aware however that they are abused in the courts of law and there goes the declaration of who is insane and not by professionals in order to obtain freedom from incarceration. Capitalism is in motion in judicial proceedings in that regard.

Apr 2016
United Kingdom
'Mental illness' is physical illness that affects the brain. The distinction is a legacy of our species' dumber days, when we couldn't see physical changes in the brain as we can now. Really it needs to be put to bed, as it does no-one any good.

I am so aware however that they are abused in the courts of law and there goes the declaration of who is insane and not by professionals in order to obtain freedom from incarceration
In Britain and the US, there's a belief 'insanity pleas' buy leniency. They don't. They buy you an indeterminate sentence in a secure mental ward. A lawyer using it to get their client a better outcome is an idiot. There's temporary insanity, but that's slightly different.

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
As far as I am aware psychiatry has never cured a single patient who is suffering from a serious mental disorder. If you or anyone else can point me to a case of a paranoid schizophrenic or a psychopath who has been cured then I will happily withdraw from the debate. What I would say is that psychiatrists are pretty competent at diagnosing the nature of a mental disorder and prescribing drugs or therapy that can help control the condition, but as to a cure I am afraid they are a big fat fail. I believe, however, they are abnormally good at extracting big fat fees from wealthy clients who have conditions that are no different from the rest of us, but have the wherewithal to have their egos massaged under soft lighting, a comfortable couch and a sympathetic ear. I have been told, by an impeccable source, that prostitutes and psychiatrists have much in common. :D
Cure is a tall order, especially with serious mental illness. Control and manage is reasonable and attainable.

Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
'Mental illness' is physical illness that affects the brain. The distinction is a legacy of our species' dumber days, when we couldn't see physical changes in the brain as we can now. Really it needs to be put to bed, as it does no-one any good.

In Britain and the US, there's a belief 'insanity pleas' buy leniency. They don't. They buy you an indeterminate sentence in a secure mental ward.
Indeed, a true insanity plea only really makes sense if the alternative is life in prison, compared to which life in a mental health facility seems softer and less dangerous.