isn't psychiatry just the beliefs of professionals?

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
That's merely a function of the byzantine drug approval process, it can cost over a billion dollars to bring a drug to market putting the task out of reach of anybody but large and powerful multinational companies. The only way to curtail the influence of a few powerful drug companies over the entire market segment is to get rid of the FDA and the drug approval process. Let people bring drugs straight to market with no or minimal clinical testing, as was the case in the late 19th century when there was considerable competition in the drug market. Require truth in advertising, of course, make drug companies publish the composition of their drugs and their research, such as it is, but let the general public judge the quality of that research and make their own decisions about their medication based on the literature available in the field (like we do with pretty much every other product in the world). Once any biochemist with a bright idea can bring his own drugs to market at minimum expense and without the involvement of these multi-national pharmaceutical companies, you'll see the dynamics of the market change relatively quickly.

You can't blame the companies for the status quo, they're merely doing what they need to survive in the regulatory environment. Get rid of the regulatory environment and capitalism will fix the problems in no time.
If they are using minimal clinical testing, and as a result the research is 'such as it is', it doesn't sound much of a basis for people to base life-threatening decisions on. You may require truth (but who will enforce that without some sort of regulation?), but that doesn't prevent the suppression of inconvenient truth in this sketchy research.
It is also surely the case that most people with no medical or scientific background (I include myself) are hardly qualified to make such a decision.
"Get rid of the regulatory environment and capitalism will fix the problems in no time." reads more like a declaration of faith than a practical policy.
Inadequately regulated capitalism has caused at least as many problems as it has fixed (from 19th century child labour and lethally dangerous working practices to the 2008 crash).

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
As far as I am aware psychiatry has never cured a single patient who is suffering from a serious mental disorder. If you or anyone else can point me to a case of a paranoid schizophrenic or a psychopath who has been cured then I will happily withdraw from the debate. What I would say is that psychiatrists are pretty competent at diagnosing the nature of a mental disorder and prescribing drugs or therapy that can help control the condition, but as to a cure I am afraid they are a big fat fail. I believe, however, they are abnormally good at extracting big fat fees from wealthy clients who have conditions that are no different from the rest of us, but have the wherewithal to have their egos massaged under soft lighting, a comfortable couch and a sympathetic ear. I have been told, by an impeccable source, that prostitutes and psychiatrists have much in common. :D
Wow, for someone who doesn't even seem to know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist, you sure have a strong opinion on the matter. Should we stop giving insulin to diabetics? , because you know those endrocrinologists are a total fail in curing diabetes.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Psychiatry is a new field of science, the medications are not perfect, but they are much better than the old alternative of chaining people up (which still happens in many 3rd world countries without access to medications). It is easy to take pot shots at psychiatry, but the truth is, it is a new field of science, few people want anything to do with it and there is no money in it.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
That's merely a function of the byzantine drug approval process, it can cost over a billion dollars to bring a drug to market putting the task out of reach of anybody but large and powerful multinational companies. The only way to curtail the influence of a few powerful drug companies over the entire market segment is to get rid of the FDA and the drug approval process. Let people bring drugs straight to market with no or minimal clinical testing, as was the case in the late 19th century when there was considerable competition in the drug market. Require truth in advertising, of course, make drug companies publish the composition of their drugs and their research, such as it is, but let the general public judge the quality of that research and make their own decisions about their medication based on the literature available in the field (like we do with pretty much every other product in the world). Once any biochemist with a bright idea can bring his own drugs to market at minimum expense and without the involvement of these multi-national pharmaceutical companies, you'll see the dynamics of the market change relatively quickly.

You can't blame the companies for the status quo, they're merely doing what they need to survive in the regulatory environment. Get rid of the regulatory environment and capitalism will fix the problems in no time.
In recent years the FDA has become much more lax on regulation (because of corruption by Big Pharma?), as a result several psychiatric drugs were released onto the market that were later shown to cause diabetes.