Italy declares war on Germany WWII

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
1943 : Italy declares war on Germany

On this day in 1943, the government of Italy declares war on its former Axis partner Germany and joins the battle on the side of the Allies.

With Mussolini deposed from power and the collapse of the fascist government in July, Gen. Pietro Badoglio, Mussolini's former chief of staff and the man who had assumed power in the Duce's stead by request of King Victor Emanuel, began negotiating with General Eisenhower regarding a conditional surrender of Italy to the Allies. It became a fact on September 8, with the new Italian government allowing the Allies to land in Salerno, in southern Italy, in its quest to beat the Germans back up the peninsula.

Jul 2006
Hellas
In my oppinion the people of Italy had no appetite for war. So the Italian army although brave and well supplied with good technology had no will to fight, thus resulting to a humilating defeat from Greece in October of 1940 (Italys pride was saved from Germans).
When we take the example of Malta then we can understand better this. Italian bomber pilots threw their bombs from high altitude cause they don't wanted to risk a shotdown fro flak.
Practically they were already defeated when they suurendered to the Allies (Germans anyway slaughtered many Italian soldiers one day before the announcment of the Italina surrender).

Sep 2006
Hellas-Greece
I will disagree with nikd and I'd like to remind the positive comments from the German officers for Italian soldiers. The Italians simply lacked good military high ranking officers that would enable them to fight efficiently.

Back on topic, Italy was making defences to the borders with Germany and also had supplies the same time that the Axis army was desperately requesting for supplies down in Africa.