James Buchanan

That is ridiculous, just because someone is unmarried or never marry in their entire life doesn't make them homosexual for god's sake!

If I never marry, would that mean I have always been lesbian? :eek:

What about Nikola Tesla, Adam Smith, Issac Newton, Elizabeth I...

Why he never married? He might just have been unlucky in this area of life. Not all of us are destined to find our soul-mate. Some of us will succeed, and some of us won't, and there is nothing we could do about it...
Maybe he was asexual. Not interested one way or the other. A pop singer of the 1950s Cliff Richard never married despite having his pick of girls. He was Britain's answer to Elvis with the same good looks. Inevitable the rumours started about him being homosexual. But in all his years the media have never found anything about him which could back up the rumours. He was still popular until a few years ago and his concerts were still sell-outs.

And you are right too about meeting the right girl. I was lucky in that respect and have been married for more years than I care to relate:) But what if I hadn't met her and never married? Would I be considered homosexual?:eek:

Gorge123

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Valles Marineris, Mars
Maybe he was asexual. Not interested one way or the other. A pop singer of the 1950s Cliff Richard never married despite having his pick of girls. He was Britain's answer to Elvis with the same good looks. Inevitable the rumours started about him being homosexual. But in all his years the media have never found anything about him which could back up the rumours. He was still popular until a few years ago and his concerts were still sell-outs.

And you are right too about meeting the right girl. I was lucky in that respect and have been married for more years than I care to relate:) But what if I hadn't met her and never married? Would I be considered homosexual?:eek:
Agreed.

Rongo

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Ohio
What's really ironic is that Buchanan's successor, Abraham Lincoln, WAS married and fathered four kids, and there are people who think he was homosexual too. :suspicious:

Hey, wait a minute! Lincoln, Buchanan, Lincoln, Buchanan...

(Just KIDDING folks! :lol:)

Feb 2013
Second City
That is ridiculous, just because someone is unmarried or never marry in their entire life doesn't make them homosexual for god's sake!
It's not that he was unmarried. It's that he lived with the guy for years (King was, by all accounts, queer as the day is long), they had a very, very close relationship that was remarked upon at the time by contemporaries who called the duo "Miss Nancy" (JB) and "Aunt Fancy" (WRK) and "the Siamese Twins." We have evidence of Buchanan attempting to "woo" other gentlemen when King was assigned overseas and then going on to mention that no woman ought to expect "ardent or romantic affection" from him should he be unable to find a male companion. Unfortunately most of their correspondence was burned by their nieces, but what remains are basically love letters.

"Miss Nancy" was a common slur against homosexuals in the 19th century and was used by President Jackson to describe Buchanan; Tennessee Governor Aaron V. Brown referred to the pair as "Buchanan & his wife" and in a letter to First Lady Sarah Polk described a lover's feud between "Buchanan and his better half." Both Buchanan and King's lifelong bachelorhoods are also remarkable at a time when only about 3% of American males remained single throughout their lives. The only times Buchanan seems to have seriously mentioned or contemplated marriage was when he was preparing to run for high office.

It really doesn't matter to me which side Buchanan preferred his bread buttered on, but why not acknowledge that he did have a very intense, very intimate relationship with another man, especially when that man was fundamental in shaping Buchanan's views and attitudes towards the South and slavery?

For that matter, Buchanan wouldn't even be the first "gay" president we've had; that title likely goes to Franklin Pierce.

Last edited:
Feb 2013
Second City
What's really ironic is that Buchanan's successor, Abraham Lincoln, WAS married and fathered four kids, and there are people who think he was homosexual too. :suspicious:
I'm not saying that Lincoln preferred men, but it is really naïve to think somebody is straight just because they have kids, especially in the centuries before contraception. "Beards" aren't new inventions.

Oct 2018
Kansas
So apparently below is from a book, however no other online family trees of the 15th President show a Jane Buchanan marrying a William Logan let alone a Logan.
Can I get some help finding one other credible source to verify or disprove the book's statement?
"History of Fayette County, Indiana" by Frederic Irving Barrows Page 638

Enoch McCarty's wife, who before her marriage was Elizabeth Logan, was a daughter of William and Jane (Buchanan ) Logan, natives of Pennsylvania, the latter is a full cousin of President James Buchanan. They where pioneers of Franklin County, this state, and there spent the remainder of their lives.

Similar History Discussions